• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Kids got into an argument and got arrested for Domestic Violence #4

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JKBee

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? WA

On Christmas day, both my kids got arrested for domestic abuse #4. My ex husband, my son's father, was here as always for Christmas. He became quite ill and we called for medical assistance. When the ambulance got here, he was put into it. Both my son and my daughter got into a verbal fight outside the ambulance. The EMTs called the police. My son was taken into custody, my daughter had a bad asthma attack, so she was not. Both were cited for Domestic Violence #4. My son had been wrestling with the dogs earlier and had a scratch on his neck. The police said that this was done during the argument, which it wasn't. Since this is not something we have ever had happen before, I have no idea what to expect now. My son's computer is down with viruses, my daughter's is down also. She is trying to borrow one to post on here herself, but they have asked me to post for them. The police asked for statements, but no one gave any to them. I have been trying to find WA statutes, but due to computer illiteracy, can't get any to see about the statutes for #4. My question is, basically, what is #4, what are the possible consequences, and do the kids need legal representation before they go in front of the judge? This is totally embarrassing to even have to post, but I would really appreciate it if anyone could give me some advice to pass on to them. Thank you for any help you can give. Nothing like this has ever happened before and we are all at a loss as to how to proceed from here.

JKBee

They pretty much have figured that. Thanks. Is there any expectation that this could just be dropped by the judge because no one is testifying against the other? Before it even is tried? Is this something that would require a jury trial if it does go to trial, or does judge just handle this personally? Thanks for any advice here.

Proserpina

They pretty much have figured that. Thanks. Is there any expectation that this could just be dropped by the judge because no one is testifying against the other? Before it even is tried? Is this something that would require a jury trial if it does go to trial, or does judge just handle this personally? Thanks for any advice here.
JK, what exactly happened? And is this the same son who is having the custody issues?

Akinan

Thanks mom for posting this. Basically what had happened is that my brother had come to visit with an attitude. We were trying to make things happier and my mom and I couldn't take it so we went into her room to escape things for a while. Finally I was trying to get my brother to transfer stuff from the vehicle that I was borrowing and things escalated from there. Eventually he said that I didn't deserve his vehicle and I said fine and threw the keys at him, but didn't hit him. They fell in the dogs water bucket. He came charging after me, shoved me and I nudged him back. We got face to face in an argument and then mom got in between and we went our seperate directions. That was pretty much everything that had happened. We never fight like this. We have always been there for each other. This is my first offense. I have never gotten into trouble in the past. Please, what ever advice you can give me would be really appreciated.

JKBee

what exactly happened? And is this the same son who is having the custody issues?
Yes, regrettably. He and sister got into an argument. I went in to break it up, and told son it was time he left. His dad got really sick all of a sudden, and we all got very frightened. These kids (to me, they are always going to be my kids), NEVER fight like this. His soon to be ex got ahold of him before he came here on Christmas morning, keeps calling him in spite of restraining order against him to talk with her. He got here with a chip on his shoulder due to her, and he never let it go all day. He does have custody of daughter, although he did lose baby because she wasn't biologically his. This was one of the main problems for him for the day, as he had just had to give her up. I never saw any physical contact, just yelling at each other. I see my daughter got hold of a computer and is now tracking this, so I will let her carry it from here. Questions still, what is fourth degree DV? What are consequences? Will there be any way to take this further in court if neither are to testify against each other, which they won't? Will a jury be involved if the state does insist on prosecuting?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">