• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is this a lawful idea to help somebody being abused by husband?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

learning2defend

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I have a friend who have endured more than 10 years of a terrible marriage with a man who abused and beat her in the past when she was in another country but since she is now in the US and a citizen, the beating turned into intimidation, humiliation, psychological and verbal abuse. Resulting to stress related illnesses, head and lower back pain due to past injuries and low self-esteem. She had no relatives to help her because they live far away back at their country.

This man is a perfect slob. He is unemployed and is not interested of working and he doesn't even speak English nor have the will to learn it. He is satisfied with the life of abusing her wife, eating his full and sleeping on the day while she work her butt off with two jobs to pay for the bills and pay for her two teenage boys' education and needs.

She is a passive woman and couldn't divorce her husband because she is already decided with this idea of loyalty due to deep cultural and religious beliefs even if how many times I explained that this is the best way for her and her kids' mental health. She also refused to get help from the police, a lawyer, a family therapist or some friends who could help her because she is fearful of her husband and embarrassed of the thought of her friends finding out about her problems.

I could only comfort her by letting her talk to me about it for I am the only one she can trust and not a member of her race and does not speak their language. I live far away from her house, we only occasionally see each other like once every two weeks but we are constantly talking by phone.

One day she called me. She is very upset because her husband have rearranged the furniture again around the house by putting them on the wrong places and he even removed the doors from the hinges and took away their beds leaving only the mattress on the floor. If she tries to move them back, he yells at her. I know he is doing this in order to insult her and feel some sort of sadistic satisfaction of seeing somebody suffer.

She said she wanted to die. I am not bothered because I know she wont kill herself. I am only worried about her kids because I know that they are also getting affected by this and it will certainly affect their lives when they get older.

So I have an idea which I hope will help her. Please tell me if what I am planning is LAWFUL and if I am SAFE from the consequences on what will happen if I convince her of following my advice since she doesn't want any outside professional help other than from me and God.

1.)I will tell her that she finds an apartment near her job and when she finds it, she will take the kids to live with her in this place and leave the husband on their home (the mortgage is already paid).
2.)She will still pay the bills and just order food to be delivered to feed her husband in their house.
3.)She will not talk to her husband and to any of his side of the family but her eldest son who is 13 years old to avoid her being intimidated and tricked to return without assurance.
4.)If the husband contacts her and tell her that he has repented and want them to come back to their home, she will not come back until he gets an appointment and clearance from a family therapist who speaks their language that will also ensure that he is safe and will not abuse his family anymore. She will also pay the doctor's bill.
5.)The apartment will be their temporary refuge from the husband's abuses until everything is settled or she finally develops the courage to take matters with her own hands for the sake of her kids' future well being.

Possible Consequences:

1.)The husband may call the police and lie that she kidnapped them. (Which I think can be disqualified by the 13 year old by telling the police the truth about his father.)
2.)The husband may commit suicide. ( Which I think he wont because a man like him is a coward. And if he does commit suicide, can I get sued or held accountable?)
3.)The husband may threaten to kill himself to force her to come back. (Which I guess will be thwarted by limiting all conversations to her eldest son.)
4.)The husband's grand parents or family will sue her. (Is this possible? Do they even have the right? Can they also sue me if they find out that I am the one who advised them this?)

I am planning to set up a meeting with her and her kids and I will separate the eldest from them and explain my plan to him since he will be the one who will protect and stand as the man of the house for them.

To all of you professional lawyers out there, please advise me if my idea is good, lawful and if I am safe from any legal consequences that might arise out of this.

Thank you.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

If she doesn't want help from anyone, what makes you think she'd even listen to your suggestions? Forget whether they're even legal or not.

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I have a friend who have endured more than 10 years of a terrible marriage with a man who abused and beat her in the past when she was in another country but since she is now in the US and a citizen, the beating turned into intimidation, humiliation, psychological and verbal abuse. Resulting to stress related illnesses, head and lower back pain due to past injuries and low self-esteem. She had no relatives to help her because they live far away back at their country.

This man is a perfect slob. He is unemployed and is not interested of working and he doesn't even speak English nor have the will to learn it. He is satisfied with the life of abusing her wife, eating his full and sleeping on the day while she work her butt off with two jobs to pay for the bills and pay for her two teenage boys' education and needs.

She is a passive woman and couldn't divorce her husband because she is already decided with this idea of loyalty due to deep cultural and religious beliefs even if how many times I explained that this is the best way for her and her kids' mental health. She also refused to get help from the police, a lawyer, a family therapist or some friends who could help her because she is fearful of her husband and embarrassed of the thought of her friends finding out about her problems.

I could only comfort her by letting her talk to me about it for I am the only one she can trust and not a member of her race and does not speak their language. I live far away from her house, we only occasionally see each other like once every two weeks but we are constantly talking by phone.

One day she called me. She is very upset because her husband have rearranged the furniture again around the house by putting them on the wrong places and he even removed the doors from the hinges and took away their beds leaving only the mattress on the floor. If she tries to move them back, he yells at her. I know he is doing this in order to insult her and feel some sort of sadistic satisfaction of seeing somebody suffer.

She said she wanted to die. I am not bothered because I know she wont kill herself. I am only worried about her kids because I know that they are also getting affected by this and it will certainly affect their lives when they get older.

So I have an idea which I hope will help her. Please tell me if what I am planning is LAWFUL and if I am SAFE from the consequences on what will happen if I convince her of following my advice since she doesn't want any outside professional help other than from me and God.

1.)I will tell her that she finds an apartment near her job and when she finds it, she will take the kids to live with her in this place and leave the husband on their home (the mortgage is already paid).
2.)She will still pay the bills and just order food to be delivered to feed her husband in their house.
3.)She will not talk to her husband and to any of his side of the family but her eldest son who is 13 years old to avoid her being intimidated and tricked to return without assurance.
4.)If the husband contacts her and tell her that he has repented and want them to come back to their home, she will not come back until he gets an appointment and clearance from a family therapist who speaks their language that will also ensure that he is safe and will not abuse his family anymore. She will also pay the doctor's bill.
5.)The apartment will be their temporary refuge from the husband's abuses until everything is settled or she finally develops the courage to take matters with her own hands for the sake of her kids' future well being.

Possible Consequences:

1.)The husband may call the police and lie that she kidnapped them. (Which I think can be disqualified by the 13 year old by telling the police the truth about his father.)
2.)The husband may commit suicide. ( Which I think he wont because a man like him is a coward. And if he does commit suicide, can I get sued or held accountable?)
3.)The husband may threaten to kill himself to force her to come back. (Which I guess will be thwarted by limiting all conversations to her eldest son.)
4.)The husband's grand parents or family will sue her. (Is this possible? Do they even have the right? Can they also sue me if they find out that I am the one who advised them this?)

I am planning to set up a meeting with her and her kids and I will separate the eldest from them and explain my plan to him since he will be the one who will protect and stand as the man of the house for them.

To all of you professional lawyers out there, please advise me if my idea is good, lawful and if I am safe from any legal consequences that might arise out of this.

This is legally none of your business. If this woman is not prepared to leave her husband then there is nothing you can do.

Also, I recommend you read the terms of the service of this sight. Most of us here are not attorneys.

CdwJava

She can do most anything she wants. If she moves out and takes the children, while a kidnapping charge is unlikely, if he reports that she is refusing to allow him to see his children, she could be charged with a crime after some time has passed. If she refuses to cooperate with the authorities and give her side of any such event, if he calls the cops she is going to come out on the losing end.

He has no job so I doubt any lawyer will try to sue YOU for anything, but anyone can make a claim and try to file a lawsuit ... I simply doubt he would prevail even if he could convince an attorney to act.

What you might consider doing is dropping a dime to CPS (confidentially) and advising them of the situation. They might be able to interview the children to find out what is going on and might be able to act in conjunction with the police to at least protect the kids.

Ultimately, if she takes HIS side, she will continue to be abused - perhaps unto death. She also places the children at great risk if all of this is true and she continues to do nothing. If she continues to keep the children at risk, then they need to be removed for their own good. Otherwise, another generation of abusers and victims will be raised.

mistoffolees

Bottom line is that SHE has to be willing to leave. If she asks for help, you can try to help, but offering suggestions when she has made it clear that she's willing to put up with abuse won't get you anywhere.

Put her in touch with a woman's shelter so she can get some counseling. That's probably about all you can do.

IF you actually witness physical abuse, you can call the police, as well.

Proserpina

The best thing you can do is help her get to a domestic violence shelter.

There will be resources available to her.

http://tinyurl.com/nz2ad has a LOT of helpful information

http://www.sboard.org/SHELTERS/CA.HTM list of CA shelters and numbers

http://www.aardvarc.org Another great program/resource

LdiJ

Possible Consequences:

She cannot kidnap her own children...at least not at this stage. However, she will not be able to keep them from him permanently.

Not likely and nobody could be sued for that.

If she is not strong enough to stand her ground, he will manage to communicate with her one way or another.

No, that is not possible at all...they cannot sue either one of you.

Putting that much pressure on a 13 year old child could be considered to be child abuse.

You are safe from consequences but a domestic violence shelter could do absolutely everything for her that you are considering doing, and could do it better.

Hot Topic

And please talk to a mental health care professional to find out why you have become so involved in someone else's life. It goes way, way beyond trying to help someone out and borders on obsession. Expecting the 13 year old to be "man of the house" clearly demonstrates that you are no substitute for trained professionals.

Last edited:

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
This an absolutely dreadful idea. And yes, as Hot Topic stated - if you think it is the right thing to do, you should not be advising her in the stead of any type of professional.

Hot Topic

Can you imagine what the husband might do to his son if he's the kind of man the OP describes? This is obviously not a man who's going to say, "Thanks for helping me see that I've been a terrible husband and father, son. From now on, I'm going to be a lot nicer to you and your mom."

The ideal situation would be for a team of professionals to evaluate the family. The more I think about it, the more I wonder about the mother. And I wonder about the OP. The OP's stories of abuse are so detailed, I get a picture of her sitting by her telephone, eagerly writing down every detail so she can pass it along.

Please get help for yourself, OP.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">