• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Legal escape plan from abusive lawyer husband

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Lifeisgood666

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia
I am married for 2 years. I was abused while pregnant and after in front of my daughter (not in common) and then little son (in common). It was financial, emotional, sexual and physical abuse, he was preventing from starting to work. It all began with me not allowing him to discipline my nearly 2 y.o daughter in not age appropriate way. Physical abuse towards me was choking, dragging,blocking my way, lifting and dropping and other, that I had numerous bruises all over my body, but it was no punching, no broken bones. I had my car keys, phone, purse taken away. I was waken up in the middle of the night with demand to talk and I had bright light put in my face. I have pictures of bruises (not from every occasion), text message prove about abuse with his relatives, not disposed smashed phone. My daughter has memories :(. She experienced some hit due to being on the way. She was emotionally abused as to hurt me. The extent of abuse decreased, I don't know for how long, but I see that he is trying to control himself. He wants us to work out, but I absolutely hate him for all I have gone through and what my daughter had to witness . I am packed to go, literally. What has stopped me is that I don't know what legal battle is ahead for custody of my son in a long term? I understand that I probably will get 50/50 custody, but my problem is that I need to be allowed 1) travel or go to live to another state 2) Travel to visit my family, my parents who are outside of The USA for at least 4 weeks. I hate to think that the judge will not allow me to travel with my son outside of the USA , unless I have full custody? Or superior power to make decisions -legal custody? How do I leave my husband as far as legal aspect ?Do I file a TPO the day I leave? What is statute of limitations to submit the incidents of DM in court for DV? Do I just file for divorce? Separation? I am not in danger at the moment. I work as self employed part time and money will be very tight. Also I am with children full time, they don't go to daycare. I will not afford a lawyer, and he is a lawyer, so I have chances of being destroyed.
Would it be best to file for TPO (please refer to my available evidences)and legal separation , that I will keep my health insurance under his plan? Maybe any other benefits? Also he has pending workers compensation settlement. If I leave before he gets settlement, will I be able to get a piece of it in divorce proceedings? Don't get me wrong, I supported him a lot, he had no money as I got with him, and I feel I deserved a lot , and foremost I need to do well for my children.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Contact a battered women's shelter. Have them help you get out. The next time he hurts you, call the police. Have him arrested.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
If you don't know who to contact locally, try http://aardvarc.org/ - they will be able to guide you to local resources. The problem with your "evidence" is that it really doesn't prove much of anything. Photos of bruises don't show who caused them, and witnesses will have to testify in open court - many are not willing to do so, especially if he is family. Your daughter is too young to be credible as a "witness".

Definitely call the cops if he hurts you again. And do look for DV resources to help you get out.

Best of luck.

OHRoadwarrior

You have been married for 2 years. What can there be to destroy in joint assets. Leave already. Go to a battered woman's shelter.

Lifeisgood666

Can child protective services take my children from me, that I did not leave sooner? I was very depressed and inactive, but I spoke to his father about it trough text messages (available), his sister (trough text messages). How do I word that I did not leave, do not have my children taken away from me after I file for TPO for myself and children?

Silverplum

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia
I am married for 2 years. I was abused while pregnant and after in front of my daughter (not in common) and then little son (in common). It was financial, emotional, sexual and physical abuse, he was preventing from starting to work. It all began with me not allowing him to discipline my nearly 2 y.o daughter in not age appropriate way. Physical abuse towards me was choking, dragging,blocking my way, lifting and dropping and other, that I had numerous bruises all over my body, but it was no punching, no broken bones. I had my car keys, phone, purse taken away. I was waken up in the middle of the night with demand to talk and I had bright light put in my face. I have pictures of bruises (not from every occasion), text message prove about abuse with his relatives, not disposed smashed phone. My daughter has memories :(. She experienced some hit due to being on the way. She was emotionally abused as to hurt me. The extent of abuse decreased, I don't know for how long, but I see that he is trying to control himself. He wants us to work out, but I absolutely hate him for all I have gone through and what my daughter had to witness . I am packed to go, literally. What has stopped me is that I don't know what legal battle is ahead for custody of my son in a long term? I understand that I probably will get 50/50 custody, but my problem is that I need to be allowed 1) travel or go to live to another state 2) Travel to visit my family, my parents who are outside of The USA for at least 4 weeks. I hate to think that the judge will not allow me to travel with my son outside of the USA , unless I have full custody? Or superior power to make decisions -legal custody? How do I leave my husband as far as legal aspect ?Do I file a TPO the day I leave? What is statute of limitations to submit the incidents of DM in court for DV? Do I just file for divorce? Separation? I am not in danger at the moment. I work as self employed part time and money will be very tight. Also I am with children full time, they don't go to daycare. I will not afford a lawyer, and he is a lawyer, so I have chances of being destroyed.
Would it be best to file for TPO (please refer to my available evidences)and legal separation , that I will keep my health insurance under his plan? Maybe any other benefits? Also he has pending workers compensation settlement. If I leave before he gets settlement, will I be able to get a piece of it in divorce proceedings? Don't get me wrong, I supported him a lot, he had no money as I got with him, and I feel I deserved a lot , and foremost I need to do well for my children.
He is not responsible for one of your children. You "need to do well" by yourself.

A 2 year marriage entitles you to nothing but co-parenting and some child support for one child. No alimony.

Lifeisgood666

My daughter is about to be 4. I have text message communication with his sister (available) where she tells me that while my daughter stayed with her, my daughter randomly brought up to her what daddy did to mommy and sister video recorded it and "sent it over to my husband warning him to be careful that my daughter understands and can talk". Sister thought it would make him stop. Is it enough of evidence?

Silverplum

My daughter is about to be 4. I have text message communication with his sister (available) where she tells me that while my daughter stayed with her, my daughter randomly brought up to her what daddy did to mommy and sister video recorded it and "sent it over to my husband warning him to be careful that my daughter understands and can talk". Sister thought it would make him stop. Is it enough of evidence?
You need an attorney. Depending upon where your SIL lives, she may have acted illegally; certainly she acted rashly and IMO immorally. Stop playing at "lawyering."

Lifeisgood666

I tried to call police before. He ended my call before it was answered( but I took a screen shot of the call log). Also he left home himself for a while to escape. Another time he kicked me out and was not letting me in in case I was with cops. And he always warns me that he is a lawyer and knows what to say to make police laugh at me.

Lifeisgood666

I have to be pro se until legal aid people may pick up my case for representation, which is 3 months after divorce is filed.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I have to be pro se until legal aid people may pick up my case for representation, which is 3 months after divorce is filed.
Once more you need to take your child and get out. The video means nothing as your child is 4 years old and not competent.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">