• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Match.com and harassment injunctions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ksanvp

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Wisconsin

My ex has a harassment injunction against me, can I still mark her Match.com profile as a "favorite"? She would be notified of it, as in "So&so marked your profile as a favorite", but I would not be sending her a message or having any contact with her.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Wisconsin

My ex has a harassment injunction against me, can I still mark her Match.com profile as a "favorite"? She would be notified of it, as in "So&so marked your profile as a favorite", but I would not be sending her a message or having any contact with her.
Heck no - move along :rolleyes::rolleyes:

ksanvp

Correction

Not looking for personal, wellness advice. "Move on" or "Get on with your life" is not the kind of LEGAL ADVICE I am looking for.
This is a question regarding law, not relationship advice.

CdwJava

It could be considered communication, I suppose, so you just might be in violation of the harassment order. If this is one more in a pattern of little tweaks and communications, they will probably throw the book at you. The order is in place, I assume, so that she does not have hear from you in any way. Marking her as a favoite knowing full well that she will be notified would seem to be a violation of any no contact order I have seen. But, your state's laws might vary.

I recall a similar case out here with regards to a Facebook account and a "Like" that took a guy to court ... not sure what happened, but he had to spend at least $2,000 on an attorney just to deal with the criminal allegations made.

One has to ask: Is the risk of jail worth the gain you feel you will receive by listing her as a "favorite?" Why would it be so important to you?

As Zigner indicated, move along with your life lest you run the risk of some small part of it being lived within a jail cell.

ksanvp

Correction #2

So far I'm pretty unimpressed with this site. The second reply was more informative, but once again I'm not asking for personal advice--I'm asking for legal advice.

If I ask, "Is it illegal to punch someone in the face?" on a legal site, I'd expect answers like, "Yes. It is illegal via statute number blah blah blah," not to receive responses like, "You should really consider non-violent communication."

How are we so sure I'm not the woman with the harassment injunction placed against him, and I phrased the question as if I was the respondent?

If you know the answer to the LEGAL question, answer it. If you don't know the answer but you feel that it's a good substitution to fill me in on the best way to handle conflict, think again and, "move along" to another post.

Sincerely,
the Petitioner or the Respondent

Whether you are the man or the woman in the relationship you come across as desperate and sad. You've had an injunction entered against you telling you not to contact your ex, yet you are seeking your ex out on match.com and are just DYING to like his/her profile and make sure they know about it.

Move on with your life. This is freeadvice.com. You came for advice, you're getting it.

ksanvp

Correction #3

It's very telling of the character of a person when they feel it's necessary to waste a person's time in the exact way they've been asked not to, for the sake of some form of entertainment or validation. Why did I post the question as if I was the respondent? I don't know. If I could take it back, just so I wouldn't have to deal with your moronic comments, I would. I filed an injunction against him. I was just looking for legal advice on how to handle this "favorite" profile situation without wasting the time of the police on a Sunday afternoon. I don't want to make a fuss over nothing and waste anyone's time, but in the past these small profile "likes" or "favorites" have turned into more threatening situations so I have a right to question the legality of it in the first place.

Thanks anyway, you're all very petty and immature.

justalayman

ksanvp;3081253]So far I'm pretty unimpressed with this site.
the feeling is mutual.

The second reply was more informative, but once again I'm not asking for personal advice--I'm asking for legal advice.
You got about all you can get given the lack of information you have provided.

If I ask, "Is it illegal to punch someone in the face?" on a legal site, I'd expect answers like, "Yes. It is illegal via statute number blah blah blah," not to receive responses like, "You should really consider non-violent communication."
but punching somebody in the face is not necessarily illegal. There are myriad situations where it would be legal to punch somebody in the face. As with your situation, there is not enough information to determine if it is illegal or not based on the limited information you have provided.

How are we so sure I'm not the woman with the harassment injunction placed against him, and I phrased the question as if I was the respondent?
we aren't and I know, even if nobody else does, I don't care.

If you know the answer to the LEGAL question, answer it.
I know it. You know it. We all know it. You simply refuse to accept it.

Sincerely,
the Petitioner or the Respondent
multiple personalities?

ksanvp

Really? Really?

Justalayman, you've chosen a good screen name.

"I know it, you know it?" Apparently not. After losing a bit more faith in the intelligence of this "community," I reached out to a police officer who checked with his lawyer, and apparently it is not a violation of the injunction since they are not contacting me directly, and not contacting me via a third party. So, for what I'm pretty certain is not the first time, the person who's asking the question is the person responsible for answering it.

Thanks for all your help, though. I appreciate your breakdown of my messages and your lackluster attempt at witty responses to each statement.

Next time I'll just have to suffer through the "Call the cops on him!" and "you go girl!" statements because it's not any less annoying to ask a question as the respondent.

You're all very attentive, and willing to expend energy doing anything but answering a question, and for that I applaud you and pity you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">