• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mental abuse

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

takeuro

New Jersey
I have sort of a problem here. I live with my mother, her friend, and my sister. My mom and her friend co-own my house. The lady that owns it with my mom is very spiteful and gets out of control. She treats my sister very nicely but no matter what I say or do I am wrong. I am 21 years old and when I was 16 she took my key to the house away from me. My first question is it illegal for her not to give me a key to my mothers house that I live in. I've come home at times where she refuses to let me in and locks me out. The cops came one time and told her that she had give me a key and if I did nothing wrong she can't lock me out. My mom has is bringing her to court so she can make her buy my mom's half out of the house. Since this has happened she has taken it out on me. It's 100 degrees outside and she lives downstairs in my house. She refuses to put the air on and it gets so hot at night that I actually throw up. We also had a verbal agreement a few months ago that she would help me pay my rent for a school house. The rent is due on the first of the month and she decided not to pay it anymore but did not tell me. I got a call from my room mate the the rent was payed 5 days later and now I have to pay a late fee. Is any of this illegal and is there anything I can do to be treated fairly?

takeuro

I am in the process of moving out. I just turned 21 though. I'm going back to my house in florida and handling that my own. I just wanted to know if I can do anything else about it. The situation has been going on for 5-6 years.

takeuro

Also if you don't understand I only came home because she asked me to. Everything was fine until my mom decided to sell the house. Now she throws everything at me. I pay my own rent and everything else.

CourtClerk

From the time you became an adult, you had the option of leaving anytime you didn't want to be there. If you CHOSE to stay there, don't blame it on anyone else.

When you were a minor, it was your mother's problem. If she CHOSE not to do anything about it, there's nothing you can do about it.

urbaneve

it seems this person came in here for advice and all i see is all of you passing judgment. its people like all of you yapping away just so you can get a higher post count or just to be heard, who knows, but if you do not have anything constructive to say, then stay out. none of you guys know the situation takeuro is going through, so dont give stupid statements, there could have been a hundred they went back home. and its not like your lives are perfect either, otherwise you would not be here.

takeuro
i am sorry what is happening.
from a legal stand point, i do not think there is anything you can do. even though everyone seemed to snipe at you and all, i would suggest moving out and severing contact for a time. let things cool down a bit. in most states a verbal agreement does not account for anything. if it was in writing, that would have been different. good luck to you

Proserpina

it seems this person came in here for advice and all i see is all of you passing judgment. its people like all of you yapping away just so you can get a higher post count or just to be heard, who knows, but if you do not have anything constructive to say, then stay out. none of you guys know the situation takeuro is going through, so dont give stupid statements, there could have been a hundred they went back home. and its not like your lives are perfect either, otherwise you would not be here.

Hey pot. Meet kettle. :rolleyes: Judgmental much?

takeuro
i am sorry what is happening.
from a legal stand point, i do not think there is anything you can do. even though everyone seemed to snipe at you and all, i would suggest moving out and severing contact for a time. let things cool down a bit. in most states a verbal agreement does not account for anything. if it was in writing, that would have been different. good luck to you

Well that was enlightening.

Thanks for stopping by now!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">