• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mentally abusive

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

scuchi

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

Ex-husband is VERY VERY VERY mad since I took him back for a modification of our divorce papers and has a history of being mentally abusive. It's gotten A LOT WORSE. The kids can't stand going over for visits that are cruel. He "sets them up" for failure with this behavior and when they retaliate he says they are being disrespectful and has gotten into numerous "power struggles" with them and over one holiday visit got physical. He's VERY mean spirited and the kids are extremely distrought about going into this "lion's den" days before their visits. They are constantly being punished. NOW, he wants to take the kids for counseling and find out what's wroong with THEM???

I don't think when the courts impose these visits that they can think this is in the best interests of the children. This is ludicrous. Please advise...

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

Ex-husband is VERY VERY VERY mad since I took him back for a modification of our divorce papers and has a history of being mentally abusive. It's gotten A LOT WORSE. The kids can't stand going over for visits that are cruel. He "sets them up" for failure with this behavior and when they retaliate he says they are being disrespectful and has gotten into numerous "power struggles" with them and over one holiday visit got physical. He's VERY mean spirited and the kids are extremely distrought about going into this "lion's den" days before their visits. They are constantly being punished. NOW, he wants to take the kids for counseling and find out what's wroong with THEM???

I don't think when the courts impose these visits that they can think this is in the best interests of the children. This is ludicrous. Please advise...
I think that taking the kids for counseling is a very positive step in the right direction. What is so ludicrious about that:eek:

blnorth74

How old are the children? After a certain age (13 in the state of Washington), the children are allowed to decide if they want to continue visitation. I would contact a lawyer to get the parenting plan modified. The courts may ask the children to testify.

Silverplum

That's enough. You're entirely wrong. :mad:

After a certain age (13 in the state of Washington), the children are allowed to decide if they want to continue visitation.
IF you plan to post definitive statements such as these, be prepared to back them up with case law from the poster's state. The poster is in TX, so inane comments about WA are pointless as well as wrong.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Actually Blnorth is correct --
After a certain age (13 in the state of Washington), the children are allowed to decide if they want to continue visitation.
Except the age is 18 in all states. :D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">