• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mom abuses daughter.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

xenooooon

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Florida
Can a friend of mine get relocated out of her own house to her friends house?
Okay so my friend is 16, we are in Florida, and she gets abused weekly if not daily... This has been going on for several years and I really want to help her.
We tried contacting the police but the police are always on the mom's side... they also keep sending the same policemen so that doesn't help the case because they dont do ANYTHING to help the daughter.
Her outside family cannot take her with them so the only choice is friends. She doesn't want to go to a foster home as well.
She COULD make her mom go to jail but doesn't want to since her siblings would be sent to foreign home like a foster home and she doesnt want to do that.
The mother ONLY abuses the eldest daughter, who is 16, Physically and Verbally, The mother has called her a slut and accuses her of sleeping with family members... sometimes hits the daughter... One time was with an umbrella and the other was with a Cable.
She refuses to let the daughter get out of the house and wont let her go anywhere.
We also tried calling the guidance counselor but that didnt help.
I am aware what is, and the consequences of Emancipation but I dont think she can support herself so I dont think this is a choice.
Her blood bound family/relatives dont want to take her in for unknown reasons.
She WANTS to live with her best friend that she knew since she was a child but the mother wont allow it.
She doesnt have a way to contact me or take evidence of the abuse she receives since her mother didnt give her a phone or any device to communicate with others apart from the school computer which she takes from her daughter... school is also ending on the 9th of June so we need to hurry.
The mother is Bi-polar and the father is in Mexico, clearly she needs therapy but she never goes to receive it.
Can you please give me some advice so I could help her specifically.
Please we tried everything we can think of.

Proserpina

Florida
Okay so my friend is 16, we are in Florida, and she gets abused weekly if not daily... This has been going on for several years and I really want to help her.
We tried contacting the police but the police are always on the mom's side... they also keep sending the same policemen so that doesn't help the case because they dont do ANYTHING to help the daughter.
Her outside family cannot take her with them so the only choice is friends. She doesn't want to go to a foster home as well.
She COULD make her mom go to jail but doesn't want to since her siblings would be sent to foreign home like a foster home and she doesnt want to do that.
The mother ONLY abuses the eldest daughter, who is 16, Physically and Verbally, The mother has called her a slut and accuses her of sleeping with family members... sometimes hits the daughter... One time was with an umbrella and the other was with a Cable.
She refuses to let the daughter get out of the house and wont let her go anywhere.
I am aware what is, and the consequences of Emancipation but I dont think she can support herself so I dont think this is a choice.
She WANTS to live with her best friend that she knew since she was a child but the mother wont allow it.
She doesnt have a way to contact me or take evidence of the abuse she receives since her mother didnt give her a phone or any device to communicate with others apart from the school computer which she takes from her daughter... school is also ending on the 9th of June so we need to hurry.
The mother is Bi-polar and the father is in Mexico, clearly she needs therapy but she never goes to receive it.

She will live where her mother says she lives. If she is abused, call child protective services.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
Florida
Short answer: No. :cool:

xenooooon

She will live where her mother says she lives. If she is abused, call child protective services.
We tried calling child protective services DCF, they came, took photos and left, did nothing about the situation.
They also left some papers but the mom threw them away.

Another person said short answer no.... I would love advice at the least to HELP the situation.
As it is now... this could go way worse.

Proserpina

We tried calling child protective services DCF, they came, took photos and left, did nothing about the situation.
They also left some papers but the mom threw them away.

Another person said short answer no.... I would love advice at the least to HELP the situation.
As it is now... this could go way worse.

If she doesn't have a way to contact you, how exactly do you know what's happening at her house on a daily basis?

Do you also live there?

xenooooon

If she doesn't have a way to contact you, how exactly do you know what's happening at her house on a daily basis?

Do you also live there?
Shes my friend at school. We talk in school thats how I know.
We previously talked on a online chat using the schools computer but like I said above, her mother took it some time ago so I can only talk to her at school now.

Proserpina

Shes my friend at school. We talk in school thats how I know.
We previously talked on a online chat using the schools computer but like I said above, her mother took it some time ago so I can only talk to her at school now.

You're not going to like this response.

You don't know what's going on at home. You're not there, and while I'm not discounting the possibility of abuse being present the fact that DCF has investigated and has not seen fit to act further, this does indicate the possibility that things may be different from what you're being told.

As things stand, there is nothing you can do. Nothing.

Understand?

xenooooon

You're not going to like this response.

You don't know what's going on at home. You're not there, and while I'm not discounting the possibility of abuse being present the fact that DCF has investigated and has not seen fit to act further, this does indicate the possibility that things may be different from what you're being told.

As things stand, there is nothing you can do. Nothing.

Understand?
Do I have a choice other than to Understand :(
:(
Thanks for answering my questions, have a great day...
Though one last thing, you dont have to respond I already got my answer.
You said that I dont know whats going on at home. Well the cable marks and Umbrella marks are still there, they went down, meaning healed but they're still there, and she couldnt move her hand with the umbrella, and the Cable marks were on her face for a week.

If theres nothing else to do... well I dont know what to do anymore ;(
Thanks.

Proserpina

You said that I dont know whats going on at home. Well the cable marks and Umbrella marks are still there, they went down, meaning healed but they're still there, and she couldnt move her hand with the umbrella, and the Cable marks were on her face for a week.

Thanks.
Let me try and explain it in a different way.

Marks on her body prove only that ... well, there are marks on her body. They don't prove how they got there, or who may have been responsible. See what I'm saying?

I know it's hard, but look at it from the eyes of a stranger who has no dog in the fight, no ulterior motive, nothing.

Eekamouse

The police come and always side with Mom. CPS comes to investigate and files no case against Mom. Hmmmmm.....Maybe your friend is a spoiled brat angry about not getting her way and is making abuse allegations up. :rolleyes: At least her school friends are believing her tales and giving her all kinds of sympathy for it.

LdiJ

Thanks.
If she really has physical evidence of abuse then she needs to go see the guidance counselor at school. They are mandated reporters and if they believe that she is being abused they will contact CPS/DCF and will be taken seriously.

Otherwise there really isn't anything else that can be done at this point.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">