• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mother bringing financial ruin to hospitalized father

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

donadenese

Nevada
While my father has been in the hospital with a fractured shoulder and renal failure, my mother, recently diagnosed with the beginning stages of dementia, has begun to close all her and my fathers household accounts, gas, electric, phone, etc and reopened them in her name only. She has also canceled his credit cards, saying he is deathly ill and not expected to recover...he will be fine after another three weeks of rehab. She refuses to give him cash or checks. He doesn't even have a key to his home.
He needs representation, what type of attorney is best suited for a case like this? Any opinions as to what an attorney might be able to do?
Thank you, Donadenese

Hot Topic

Is your mother's physician aware of what she's doing?

You need a lawyer versed in elder law.

Renal failure is a serious condition. Your father is not going to be "fine" in three weeks.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Nevada
My father is in Hospice care. My mother who has been diagnosed with early dementia continually threatens my father saying she is going to change the Family Trust to exclude his older daughter who is his caregiver. Is changing a Trust easily done? For any reason? Can a Trust be made Null and Void?
If your father is in hospice care, he is NOT going to be "fine" in 3 weeks and likely IS deathly ill.

Are you the oldest daughter?

Hot Topic

When I responded, I had no idea that there were two versions of the story on the forum. The credibility of the OP is questionable.

If someone is in hospice, it's expected that they will die. It could be the next day, it could be in a year. No one would have told the OP that the father was going to be "fine" after another three weeks of "rehabilitation."

I suspect the OP is the oldest daughter who is concerned that she or he will not get the money that s/h feels entitled to.

cyjeff

So the real question is how do I prevent mom from bringing financial ruin to ME?

Cold... Can we start divvying up dad's stuff AFTER he dies?

Proserpina

In all fairness hospice may provide temporary care to those who are NOT terminally ill.

(This isn't uncommon in North Dakota, for example)

Hot Topic

References in general regarding hospice don't indicate that it substitutes for a hospital when someone has a temporary condition.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">