• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mother shot at me

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

j0annab35

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? West Virginia

My 14 yr old son and I currently live with my mother. She is a retired nurse. she recently lost her husband of 30 yrs this past January, (we moved in with her in June of this year) and her brother passed away this past Monday. She has had questionable mental stability for quite some time now. She's been severely depressed - who wouldn't be? She has been in the frame of mind that she has no reason to live since her husband died, she's voiced a few times before that she just wants to die. She has been on medication for depression but we just recently found out that the meds were prescribed to her by her heart doctor, not a mental health doctor. She doesn't take her meds all the time because the are so expensive and she is on medicare.

She recently seemed to come out of her depression a little and was actually going out with her best friend from high school *she is a very young 66 by the way* going to the gym and started going back to church. Her brother passed away this past Monday and they buried him on Friday. she handled it pretty well - he had been sick for quite some time. She was very supportive to his wife and seemed to have a bond with her due to the loss of her husband.

At 8am yesterday - Sunday- she woke me up screaming about the hairdryer that she couldn't find. She demanded in this really scary voice that I get up and find it for her. I got up and looked around for a few minutes and after her still screaming at me i finally said im going back to bed you can find it yourself. Its not an unusual thing for her to wake up in a bad bad mood and yell at everyone. Im not the most patient person and sometimes out of frustration I yell back. After I laid back down, she came into my room and told me if I didn't get up and find the hairdryer for her that I could pack my **** and leave, she then went to call my sister who lives a few yards away and asked to borrow her dryer. My sister came up and talked to her for a few minutes before going to church herself. For the next few hours My son and I just stayed in the bedroom and out of her way. My sister came back after church and tried to talk to her again, and it was then that my mother told her that I needed to leave and if I tried to take my son she would shoot and kill me, kill him, then kill herself. When i heard her say that I kinda lost it. I told her that she was indeed crazy and she needed help. I am leaving and I am taking my son with me, I told her if she said that again I was calling the police. She continued to yell and scream and tell me how that wasn't going to happen and that if i ever believed anything she said, I should believe her when she said she would indeed kill us before she let that happen. My sister left to go and get her husband and i continued to get my things together. I told my son to go to my sisters house "right now" and he left. At one point as I was about to head towards the front door she passed me on the way to her bedroom and it dawned on me that she has a gun on her headboard (her husband was a retired law enforcement officer and she has his service pistol) I immediately headed for my car and when i got to the door of my car and turned around she was standing there with this cannon of a gun (357) pointed at me and this crazy look in her eyes! she said that if i drove toward my sisters house (just around the corner) that she would blow my head off. I started my car, backed out of the driveway and floored it around the curve to my sisters house to call 911. Its literally 50 yards away to my sisters driveway. As I drove away she shot one time towards my car. I pulled into my sisters driveway and yelled at her to call 911 and looked up to see my mother walking across the yard still holding that gun. we all ran into the house (my sister, her husband) and got all the kids in the back room of the house on the floor. At this point cops are on the way. She walked around the drive way and over to my car and started shooting at my tires and shot every one of them out and then turned around and walked back to her house. I honestly believe that is she had had any bullets left she would have taken her own life.

So to make a long story longer..My sister and I went through the steps to have her Legally committed - that same night. She needs help. She's gone to far this time, she shot at me, threatened my life and my son's. The tell us that she may be out in as many as 3 days or 72 hours depending on what the Dr. says. She's a retired nurse, ,she has worked on the behavioral unit before , she knows the system. The police tell me that by the time the 72 hours are up the warrants will be back, but because of who her husband was and who she knows (judges and magistrates and such) that its possible they will go easy on her - due to her mental stress, and out of respect for my stepfather. Im scared of her getting out. I'm 3 weeks into a new job and will only receive the first paycheck on the 20th. I don't have anywhere else to go. My sister is scared too. Her children are terrified of their grandmother coming home. Due to the committal and charges she faces, she will loose her nursing license. The police didnt really explain what charges there would be. This was all only yesterday and we're still not sure whats going to happen. Is that attempted murder? Aggravated assault? destruction of property?? Can I stay here until I can find a place to live? Would a restraining order keep her away from her house - but also my son's home for the last 6 yrs? until we can find a place to live? Do I really go ahead and press charges? do i have a choice in that matter? Im very confused and not sure what to do

justalayman

Is that attempted murder? Aggravated assault? destruction of property??
sure but given your description of your mother, she is mentally ill and those charges would most likely not be applicable.

Can I stay here until I can find a place to live?
legally you can stay there until mom evicts you but your are foolish to consider staying with your mother if she is released. You got lucky once. Just how lucky do you feel?

Would a restraining order keep her away from her house - but also my son's home for the last 6 yrs?
that is her house. If anybody is going to leave, it will be you.

Do I really go ahead and press charges?
I think you need to think more about mental help for your mom.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? West Virginia

My 14 yr old son and I currently live with my mother. She is a retired nurse. she recently lost her husband of 30 yrs this past January, (we moved in with her in June of this year) and her brother passed away this past Monday. She has had questionable mental stability for quite some time now. She's been severely depressed - who wouldn't be? She has been in the frame of mind that she has no reason to live since her husband died, she's voiced a few times before that she just wants to die. She has been on medication for depression but we just recently found out that the meds were prescribed to her by her heart doctor, not a mental health doctor. She doesn't take her meds all the time because the are so expensive and she is on medicare.

She recently seemed to come out of her depression a little and was actually going out with her best friend from high school *she is a very young 66 by the way* going to the gym and started going back to church. Her brother passed away this past Monday and they buried him on Friday. she handled it pretty well - he had been sick for quite some time. She was very supportive to his wife and seemed to have a bond with her due to the loss of her husband.

At 8am yesterday - Sunday- she woke me up screaming about the hairdryer that she couldn't find. She demanded in this really scary voice that I get up and find it for her. I got up and looked around for a few minutes and after her still screaming at me i finally said im going back to bed you can find it yourself. Its not an unusual thing for her to wake up in a bad bad mood and yell at everyone. Im not the most patient person and sometimes out of frustration I yell back. After I laid back down, she came into my room and told me if I didn't get up and find the hairdryer for her that I could pack my **** and leave, she then went to call my sister who lives a few yards away and asked to borrow her dryer. My sister came up and talked to her for a few minutes before going to church herself. For the next few hours My son and I just stayed in the bedroom and out of her way. My sister came back after church and tried to talk to her again, and it was then that my mother told her that I needed to leave and if I tried to take my son she would shoot and kill me, kill him, then kill herself. When i heard her say that I kinda lost it. I told her that she was indeed crazy and she needed help. I am leaving and I am taking my son with me, I told her if she said that again I was calling the police. She continued to yell and scream and tell me how that wasn't going to happen and that if i ever believed anything she said, I should believe her when she said she would indeed kill us before she let that happen. My sister left to go and get her husband and i continued to get my things together. I told my son to go to my sisters house "right now" and he left. At one point as I was about to head towards the front door she passed me on the way to her bedroom and it dawned on me that she has a gun on her headboard (her husband was a retired law enforcement officer and she has his service pistol) I immediately headed for my car and when i got to the door of my car and turned around she was standing there with this cannon of a gun (357) pointed at me and this crazy look in her eyes! she said that if i drove toward my sisters house (just around the corner) that she would blow my head off. I started my car, backed out of the driveway and floored it around the curve to my sisters house to call 911. Its literally 50 yards away to my sisters driveway. As I drove away she shot one time towards my car. I pulled into my sisters driveway and yelled at her to call 911 and looked up to see my mother walking across the yard still holding that gun. we all ran into the house (my sister, her husband) and got all the kids in the back room of the house on the floor. At this point cops are on the way. She walked around the drive way and over to my car and started shooting at my tires and shot every one of them out and then turned around and walked back to her house. I honestly believe that is she had had any bullets left she would have taken her own life.

So to make a long story longer..My sister and I went through the steps to have her Legally committed - that same night. She needs help. She's gone to far this time, she shot at me, threatened my life and my son's. The tell us that she may be out in as many as 3 days or 72 hours depending on what the Dr. says. She's a retired nurse, ,she has worked on the behavioral unit before , she knows the system. The police tell me that by the time the 72 hours are up the warrants will be back, but because of who her husband was and who she knows (judges and magistrates and such) that its possible they will go easy on her - due to her mental stress, and out of respect for my stepfather. Im scared of her getting out. I'm 3 weeks into a new job and will only receive the first paycheck on the 20th. I don't have anywhere else to go. My sister is scared too. Her children are terrified of their grandmother coming home. Due to the committal and charges she faces, she will loose her nursing license. The police didnt really explain what charges there would be. This was all only yesterday and we're still not sure whats going to happen. Is that attempted murder? Aggravated assault? destruction of property?? Can I stay here until I can find a place to live? Would a restraining order keep her away from her house - but also my son's home for the last 6 yrs? until we can find a place to live? Do I really go ahead and press charges? do i have a choice in that matter? Im very confused and not sure what to do
Since the police were involved, and she was shooting a gun, it won't be up to you at all whether or not charges will be pressed. It will be up to the DA.

If your mom is in bad enough shape that she was shooting a gun, its quite likely that she will end up staying in the hospital longer than the 72 hours.

For your mom's sake, you and your sister should go through the house with a fine tooth comb and get rid of any other guns that might be in the house.

You also need to find someplace else to live, preferibly before your mother gets out of the hospital.

redleg17

Since it's a safe bet she won't be getting that firearm back....make sure she doesn't have another one in the house.

commentator

You seem to imply that having to move out of your mother's house (his home for the last many years) would be traumatic for your son. As if living there with the insanity you describe as normal was NOT bad for him! You need to get the heck away, to a nice, safe distance. Not your sister's house 50 yards away. Even if you have to go to the domestic assault shelter. You qualify. Then, from there you can try to help your mother get help if she needs help. But what you are doing to your son by keeping him in this situation is NOT doing him any good in any way. He is a minor, after all.

"Run, run, Grandma's got a gun and is about to shoot us!" is not the way to pay the rent.

Last edited:

j0annab35

huh?

Please to splain.
Im sorry, let me clarify. I had had some financial trouble in the past and my son would come and stay with my mother for the summers. After about the 3rd summer we decided as a family to let him stay there, continue on with school until I could get on my feet and be able to give him some stability. It was never a custody issue, it was agreeable on all parties. I came to visit every holiday, vacation, birthday and then some. I sent money monthly to help provide for his care. He had moved back with me to Texas to start school this year and continue on with our life when her husband passed away in Jan. We decided again as a family that we would move back to Wv and help take care of her and just be here for support

Isis1

Im sorry, let me clarify. I had had some financial trouble in the past and my son would come and stay with my mother for the summers. After about the 3rd summer we decided as a family to let him stay there, continue on with school until I could get on my feet and be able to give him some stability. It was never a custody issue, it was agreeable on all parties. I came to visit every holiday, vacation, birthday and then some. I sent money monthly to help provide for his care. He had moved back with me to Texas to start school this year and continue on with our life when her husband passed away in Jan. We decided again as a family that we would move back to Wv and help take care of her and just be here for support
your child comes first. get out.

commentator

Uh, well, JOanna, I'm going to say something here. I think I can qualify modestly as a mental health professional, I've had years of experience in the mental health field and almost a doctorate in behavioral psych... so I am not just giving an off the cuff here. I can't tell you how often I am approached by a family member who tells me their parent, husband, son, daughter, sister....."needs help." This is almost a knee jerk reaction. Your mother is behaving very very badly. You'd like to think this is because she is not in her right mind. Due to depression, or trauma, something that can be medicated and taken care of.

Your mother sounds more to me like a person with a personality disorder than a "very depressed" person. She choses to get up and have these really bad fits. Hint, she would like to act this way all the time, and to everyone. She's just able to control the reaction when she's around people she has respect for. This does not include you and your son. Or her other daughter. She can, I am sure be a sweet, charming, loveable person. But then again, there's this other side of her, I'm sure. Which you try to tell yourself didn't really happen, couldn't really happen if she did not "need help."

All these things you describe about how she's a mental health professional and knows how to work the system are very typical. You need to get far far away. I reiterate. She will no trouble finding someone else to take care of her, find her hair dryers for her. I'm sure there'll be tons of guilt for you to have dumped on you if you do break off and go away. But trust me here, this woman (who incidentally is FAR from elderly!) is toxic and manipulative and will honestly ruin things for you if she can. Losing one's husband AND brother has been gone through by many people in the world without shooting at their daughter and grandson. She does not need you to "take care" of her.

For your mental health and for the mental health of your child, you need to move your things out, take out all weapons before she comes back to what is, after all, her house, and back away. If the DA decides to press charges, she needs to be the one who pays her fines. Not you and your sister. Incidentally, if you make spending time with her and helping her contigent on how well she treats you, you'd be very impressed by how much she can get it together and refrain from tantrums and shooting incidents.

Last edited:

redleg17

In retrospect...about other guns in her house:

If you suspect (or find, seeing as you have access to the home) that she has more, report that fact to the police. I would hate for her to get home, report them stolen, and then have you get caught with them. I'm not sure about WV, but some states bring the hammer down on you for possession of a stolen firearm.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">