• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

my ex gf has a restraining order against me need advice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

swiftly

I did not violate the restraining order but she does have have texts of me saying I would throw rocks through her window and have friends "get her". She printed out the texts and gave them to the police officer to whom she spoke with. I never meant any of these things it was just all out of anger at the moment. Do I need a lawyer and should I plead the 5th when asked. I'm in dire need of help and I have court at 1:30pm central time today.

CdwJava

Consult your attorney and say nothing to the police until you have spoken to him or her. If you are already headed to court, then it is clear that the state feels they have enough to pursue the criminal charges and make them stick at trial.

And, for Pete's sake, do NOT communicate with her again in any way!

CdwJava

If you are going to court on the restraining order, then it is a non-criminal matter. However, the police can investigate and the DA might consider charges for misdemeanor harassing communications (PC 653m), but that is not very common in situations where the victim seeks a TRO.

If the police come calling, you should politely decline to talk with them and consult legal counsel immediately.

single317dad

OP, considering your post in your other thread, it seems like you don't really understand how a restraining order works and what it means. I suggest you educate yourself quickly.

umkemesic

When asked about the threats should I make no comment?
(1) Don't say anything. I assume you were given a temp. restraining order and are going to court for a permament restraining order. You will most likely get one as they are very liberal at handing these things out. Nothing that you can say will convince the judge otherwise.

(2) Even though the text were prior to the order you could still be concievably arrested by stupid cops (this happened to me). I filed a motion to dismiss for no probable cause and it was granted. I should have never been arrested in the first place, but understand that we live in a feminized sociey.

Silverplum

(1) Don't say anything. I assume you were given a temp. restraining order and are going to court for a permament restraining order. You will most likely get one as they are very liberal at handing these things out. Nothing that you can say will convince the judge otherwise.

(2) Even though the text were prior to the order you could still be concievably arrested by stupid cops (this happened to me). I filed a motion to dismiss for no probable cause and it was granted. I should have never been arrested in the first place, but understand that we live in a feminized sociey.
Aren't you cute.

:rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">