• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My step Mother constantly abuses my Father.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

DejaFisher

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arizona
Hi, I'm 15, And my question is about my step Mother. She constantly abuses my Father, either hitting, slapping, punching, or what ever she feels like doing at the time. My bedroom is right next to theirs and most of the time I can't fall asleep or study because all I can concentrate on is my anger towards the situation. She'll hit him at any time, even while he's driving with all five of the children being in the car, one of them being a one year old baby. Not only that but she mentally abuses me all the time by saying little stuff here and there. Sometimes she even gets sexual with her talk, and it really disturbs me because it's things i dont want to know, I'm also pretty sure that is a form of sexual assault. I feel like I need to call the cops when ever she starts yelling or damaging the house or hitting my Father but she threatens me that my dad will go to jail, or no one will believe me, or something along the lines of that. If i did call the cops, do you think anything would happen, and if so, what? Another thing I would like to add is that my step mother abuses alchohol and watches her baby completely drunk sometimes. The fighting is non stop and i just cant handle it anymore.

Last edited:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Hi, I'm 15, And my question is about my step Mother. She constantly abuses my Father, either hitting, slapping, punching, or what ever she feels like doing at the time. My bedroom is right next to theirs and most of the time I can't fall asleep or study because all I can concentrate on is my anger towards the situation. She'll hit him at any time, even while he's driving with all five of the children being in the car, one of them being a one year old baby. Not only that but she mentally abuses me all the time by saying little stuff here and there. Sometimes she even gets sexual with her talk, and it really disturbs me because it's things i dont want to know, I'm also pretty sure that is a form of sexual assault. I feel like I need to call the cops when ever she starts yelling or damaging the house or hitting my Father but she threatens me that my dad will go to jail, or no one will believe me, or something along the lines of that. If i did call the cops, do you think anything would happen, and if so, what? Another thing I would like to add is that my step mother abuses alchohol and watches her baby completely drunk sometimes. The fighting is non stop and i just cant handle it anymore.
Where is your mom? You can call the police and tell them what you have witnessed. Have you tried talking to your dad about this?

DejaFisher

Where is your mom? You can call the police and tell them what you have witnessed. Have you tried talking to your dad about this?
I do talk to my dad but he's afraid that the baby will be taken away, or that she will make up some story. But my mom lives in california. They've been seperated since I was in 1st grade.

st-kitts

Hi, I'm 15, And my question is about my step Mother. She constantly abuses my Father, either hitting, slapping, punching, or what ever she feels like doing at the time. My bedroom is right next to theirs and most of the time I can't fall asleep or study because all I can concentrate on is my anger towards the situation.
It would be great if you felt comfortable approaching your mom or dad about this, but if not, you might consider approaching your guidance counselor at school. Domestic violence is a common problem that lots of people feel ashamed to talk about but you are not alone. The school counselor will have likely dealt with your situation many times over. If you don’t feel comfortable talking with you parents of guidance counselor you could talk with someone anonymously at the National Domestic Violence Hotline. The number is 1800-799-SAFE (7233)

She'll hit him at any time, even while he's driving with all five of the children being in the car, one of them being a one year old baby. I feel like I need to call the cops when ever she starts yelling or damaging the house or hitting my Father but she threatens me that my dad will go to jail, or no one will believe me, or something along the lines of that. I feel like I need to call the cops when ever she starts yelling or damaging the house or hitting my Father
Physical violence, slapping, hitting, punching are all battery and against the law. If you feel you, your siblings, or your dad is in danger you can certainly call the police.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
but she threatens me that my dad will go to jail, or no one will believe me, or something along the lines of that. If i did call the cops, do you think anything would happen, and if so, what?
How the police react if you do call will likely depend on how your father and stepmother respond when police arrive as well as the evidence at the scene. Unfortunately, people in abusive relationships frequently defend their abuser. If your dad is not ready to leave your stepmother, he may strongly resist you attempt to intervene on his behalf. He may deny the abuse at her hands, she may accuse him of abuse, or the police may find they engaged in mutual combat. There is no way to know what will happen. Anything could happen. Even if the police believe you when you tell them what happened, if your dad and stepmom give different stories it may be hard for them to take any action.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Another thing I would like to add is that my step mother abuses alchohol and watches her baby completely drunk sometimes. The fighting is non stop and i just cant handle it anymore.
It isn’t illegal to drink and watch a baby.
Whenever you feel you can’t handle the situation, consider calling the National DV Hotline. They understand and are available to listen and give advice 24 hours a day.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">