• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Name change

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TX

Please excuse me if this category is not an appropriate place for my question; I will move it if anyone can point me to a better one.

I want to change my last name. The reason for this is twofold: I have been divorced for 25 years and chose not to take my maiden name back at the time of the divorce. Several years later, though, I was involved in an abusive relationship. My boyfriend was sentenced to 18 years in prison and will soon be released, having served his entire sentence (if he's not paroled even before that). Taking back my maiden name would make it much harder - if not impossible - for him to find me when he gets out, and that would make me feel a lot safer.

So I've done some research and found that it's not really a big deal here in Texas and that if I'm changing my name due to divorce then all I really need is my divorce decree and to notify the interested parties.

Can anyone tell me, though, if, after all these years, my name change could legitimately still be related to my divorce? And, if not, then what steps I would need to take in order to change my name.

Thank you in advance for any advice.

justalayman

No, the name change you are allowed that is related to you divorce is the one that would be included in the divorce proceedings.

Doesn't mean a whole lot though. Just follow the procedure to change you name and all should be well.

you do not have to change it to your maiden name if you do not want to either. You have the world of names to choose from and given the fact you showed no interest in regaining your maiden name along with your divorce and the fact your ex, if he is going to look for you, would know your maiden name and could search under that as well as your current name, it might be a good idea to choose some other name altogether.

LdiJ

No, the name change you are allowed that is related to you divorce is the one that would be included in the divorce proceedings.

Doesn't mean a whole lot though. Just follow the procedure to change you name and all should be well.

you do not have to change it to your maiden name if you do not want to either. You have the world of names to choose from and given the fact you showed no interest in regaining your maiden name along with your divorce and the fact your ex, if he is going to look for you, would know your maiden name and could search under that as well as your current name, it might be a good idea to choose some other name altogether.
One of my cousins chose to change her and her child's last name to a family name that went defunct a couple of generations back. Dad was deceased and there were major issues with his highly dysfunctional extended family.

People can change their last names without it being connected to a divorce or marriage in the US...and its not particularly expensive either.

Ha! I'm not too worried about my ex remembering my maiden name: he's not the sharpest cheddar on the cheese tray, if you know what I'm saying, and I'm pretty sure he never actually knew it in the first place. He was never really very interested in me, other than as a punching bag.

That said, the reason that I didn't take my maiden name back at the time of my divorce was NOT because I wasn't interested in doing so. It was because my maiden name is also my son's first name, and he was only an infant at the time and I was worried that it would be confusing for him. All of which has me thinking that maybe the ex COULD figure out my maiden name if he put any effort into it, so I appreciate both of you giving me input and food for thought. Sometimes I just need to do the internet equivalent of talking things out in order to be able to see them from all sides.

I also appreciate your legal advice.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">