• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need Advice for Permanent PFA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Robertk1990

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania

Hello, so my ex-wife has been harassing me and my girlfriend. My girlfriend and I have a 1 year old daughter and we honestly feel scared especially with having our daughter in the home. She has threatened us, shows up at my door unannounced banging on windows and doors asking me for money, she has threatened physical violence and gets her friends to "scare us" as well. My ex and I have a child together who is a teenager but I have full physical and legal custody. I went through the women's shelter (just realized men can use it as well) at my local courthouse and got help filling out the PFA and the ex-parte PFA was approved by the president judge. What are my chances of the permanent one being approved? I was advised to call legal aid and I am going to do that tomorrow. I just want to make sure this permanent one is approved so I can live my life in peace. Advice greatly appreciated.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

Hello, so my ex-wife has been harassing me and my girlfriend. My girlfriend and I have a 1 year old daughter and we honestly feel scared especially with having our daughter in the home. She has threatened us, shows up at my door unannounced banging on windows and doors asking me for money, she has threatened physical violence and gets her friends to "scare us" as well. My ex and I have a child together who is a teenager but I have full physical and legal custody. I went through the women's shelter (just realized men can use it as well) at my local courthouse and got help filling out the PFA and the ex-parte PFA was approved by the president judge. What are my chances of the permanent one being approved? I was advised to call legal aid and I am going to do that tomorrow. I just want to make sure this permanent one is approved so I can live my life in peace. Advice greatly appreciated.
There is no way any of us could know.

single317dad

Your ex parte hearing amounted to the judge hearing one (your) side of the story, and determining there was sufficient evidence for a temporary order of protection. The full hearing, if your ex appears, will include evidence and testimony from both sides. Only you may know if there's something she might produce which will prove she's not a danger.

Is your girlfriend covered by the order? Are the children included?

A protective order is no guarantee of living in peace. It is simply a judge's order, and the enforcement methods available are sufficient to deter some people from further harassing you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">