• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Neighbors reported domestic violence, but no charges were filed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rsedtfyliufwegh

Last night, my boyfriend and I had been drinking quite a bit and got into a petty argument. We were fighting with each other on the walk home from the bar. Because I was intoxicated, I tripped/fell a lot, but I was mad at him, so I didn't want his help, and I was repeatedly yelling at him not to touch me when he would try to help me up or anything like that. He didn't hurt me or anything, I was just being stubborn and drunk, and he was trying to help. I'm pretty sure this is the interaction that caused one of our neighbors to worry.

We didn't realize that some of our neighbors saw this interaction and called the cops. Two officers showed up at our door and told us someone had called in a domestic disturbance at our address. We were all confused... we told them that we were fighting (verbally), but nothing physical happened. They said that the call that came in had said that he was kicking me? We again told them that that didn't happen, we were arguing, but no one was hurt, or being abused.

They spoke with both of us separately (as well as our two friends who were with us for the whole thing). Everyone told them there was no domestic violence and everything was fine, they took down our names and left. I don't know if they believed us or not, so I'm not sure exactly what the report would entail. I was drunk, and they clearly thought I was hiding something.

My question is, can this incident report affect us negatively in the future? No charges were made, no arrests, but obviously they wrote a report. Will this show up on any future background check on both of us? Could we have trouble renting an apartment in the future? Do we need to disclose this to future employers or anything? Is there anything we can do to get the report to not show up on our records?

Thank you for any advice! This happened in Massachusetts.

CdwJava

Background checks are not made equal. They can be as simple as reviewing an application, and as extensive as reviewing your entire history and speaking to neighbors and everyone you ever knew. There is no way to know whether anyone will ever read the report or not.

And, no, there is nothing you can do to get any report purged. If nothing happened, then there's nothing to worry about. But, if you are worried because you lied, well ...

xylene

Don't be too worried. It's a report, not the end of the world

BUT:

Seriously, think about the drinking a little.

Maybe get some couples too.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">