• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

New case (no help from dv advocate)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Lfe737

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? OH

I am just starting with a case against my son and daughters father, he hit me causing marks and did with my daughter at home push her out the way to get to me and locked us in a room. He also damaged the tv and gaming system in the house during this.
I am wondering how long this takes to go to grand jury? This happen aug 19th.
I only spoke to the advocate one time and my call dropped in a parking garage. She phoned right back and made vmail saying binding over should take about a week. Its now alot longer and nothing and I haven't been able to speak to her though I leave vmail and call just about every day.
Also police say he maybe charge with 2 violence charges for me and daughter, child abuse or danger, and damaged to property but only one dv shows up who do I talk to for everything else?

I have tpo for self and kids and he still send messages on social networks and to friends. What do I do?

I wish I could talk to advocate but no calls back:(

Should I get a lawyer? Do victims get lawyers?

My daughters only 2 but this has affected her as well she seems anxious or more clingy. What do I do for her? I think therapy for a toddler may or may not work.

Sorry for so many questions or if things are jumbled English is not my first language

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? OH

I am just starting with a case against my son and daughters father, he hit me causing marks and did with my daughter at home push her out the way to get to me and locked us in a room. He also damaged the tv and gaming system in the house during this.
I am wondering how long this takes to go to grand jury? This happen aug 19th.
I only spoke to the advocate one time and my call dropped in a parking garage. She phoned right back and made vmail saying binding over should take about a week. Its now alot longer and nothing and I haven't been able to speak to her though I leave vmail and call just about every day.
Also police say he maybe charge with 2 violence charges for me and daughter, child abuse or danger, and damaged to property but only one dv shows up who do I talk to for everything else?

I have tpo for self and kids and he still send messages on social networks and to friends. What do I do?

I wish I could talk to advocate but no calls back:(

Should I get a lawyer? Do victims get lawyers?

My daughters only 2 but this has affected her as well she seems anxious or more clingy. What do I do for her? I think therapy for a toddler may or may not work.

Sorry for so many questions or if things are jumbled English is not my first language
Report the violations to police if he sends YOU messages on social networks.
You don't "get a lawyer" appointed. Depending on the county, it can take a couple weeks or a month to bind over from municipal court to then have it presented to the grand jury. Then it could be a couple weeks before it gets to the arraignment.

LdiJ

Report the violations to police if he sends YOU messages on social networks.
You don't "get a lawyer" appointed. Depending on the county, it can take a couple weeks or a month to bind over from municipal court to then have it presented to the grand jury. Then it could be a couple weeks before it gets to the arraignment.
For curiosity's sake, what would typically make this a case that needed to be taken before a grand jury? Do DV cases typically go before a grand jury?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
For curiosity's sake, what would typically make this a case that needed to be taken before a grand jury? Do DV cases typically go before a grand jury?
If it is being bound over that means it is a felony and criminal. And criminal felony cases go before a grand jury.

LdiJ

If it is being bound over that means it is a felony and criminal. And criminal felony cases go before a grand jury.
Thank you. Does that mean that there are misdemeanor DV cases and Felony DV cases? Two different categories? I am just trying to learn a little since I do not know much about criminal law.

CTU

Meddlesome Priestess
I think someone (?) should have also explained to OP that while he may be charged it could be for a lesser offense, there's no guarantee of him being convicted and he could plea down to something fairly innocuous - and that he may actually get unsupervised visitation regardless.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Thank you. Does that mean that there are misdemeanor DV cases and Felony DV cases? Two different categories? I am just trying to learn a little since I do not know much about criminal law.
Yes. Felony is for more serious -- not the first offense, great bodily injury, children are the victims, things like that.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">