• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

order of protection on my husband, can i file for divorce?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

imahaz

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

1-I have an order of protection on my husband (okay the third one) but he is an alcoholic and not only abuses me verbally, physically and mentally he also abuses my child (not his from a previous marriage)

2-I know the divorce will not be easy as it will be contested, he wants what is his and half of mine....I say since together from 1997 living and married from 2001 i believe he does not get half of mine and none of his..in ny being an equitable state, but all bills that were racked up since marriage do get split correct?

3-i have lots of proof also like saving home from foreclosure and i have also added things to this house, I do not want to have to just walk away....

if you have any advise, please help and especially if a divorce can be started when the order of protection has not been started...(two court dates, then moved to a Domestic Violence court only had first appearance today) He did brake order in first hour of being served.

Just Blue

You BOTH will get half of the Marital Assets and BOTH be responsible for the Marital Debt. What he walked into the MARRIAGE with, he will walk away with and what YOU walked into the MARRIAGE with you will walk away with.

Is there proof he was abusing your child? Did you report this to the police the very first time??:confused: How long has this been going on?:confused:

Just Blue

Today, 09:05 PM
imahaz
Junior Member Join Date: Jul 2009

order of protection on my husband, can i file for divorce?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York
Thank you for your reply, I have yes reported to the police and then followed up each time going to file for the order of protection.
first time he ripped apart a 25.5 cubic sq foot refrig/freezer. He was indicated with CPS...
he also out of state had thrown my son out of a camper and I have copy of report also from the campground owners (notarized) Also four years of therapy!What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

This is the third order since Sept 05 we are together since 1997.

can i file for divorce when this isn't settled yet?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by imahaz; Today at 09:09 PM.
So you allowed your child to be repeatedly abused by your husband? Plan on getting an investigation from CPS when this comes out. And also plan on Dad filing for Primary Custody.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">