• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Orders of Protection

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

toolgirl

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? AZ

My brother's wife went to Las Vegas for Christmas with their child. After the holidays she refused to return to Arizona with the child. He filed for divorce, temp. custody, and now just received an order of protection for custodial interference. He went to Las Vegas with the order, but the police served her and then told her she didn't have to hand over the child. So she didn't and they told him that there was nothing they could do even though she was in violation of the order, which states she can't be around him or their daughter. He refused to arrest her and only let him see his child for 5 minutes then said he had to leave and he had to go with him. He had to come back to Arizona and doesn't know what to do now. Can he go to the police here even though she is in Vegas, does he have to go to the judge again? We are at a loss because it says on the order that if she violates it she will be arrested, but the officer flat out refused to do that. Can somebody please help with what to do next? There isn't a court date for the temp. custody for about 2 weeks and he is afraid she might flee because she knows there is an order and she already fled once to Vegas.

toolgirl

He said he went to the court there and did something, maybe that is what it was. He said the police made him register the order or something in Las Vegas. The officer told him that he told them how serious it was, so I don't understand why she isn't in trouble because the order clearly states she is not to be around the child.

Silverplum

He said he went to the court there and did something, maybe that is what it was. He said the police made him register the order or something in Las Vegas. The officer told him that he told them how serious it was, so I don't understand why she isn't in trouble because the order clearly states she is not to be around the child.
Regarding the bolded: This is precisely why it is so difficult to help 3rd party posters. They do not have the necessary details.

Send your brother here, or help him hire an attorney. The attorney would be the better bet.

toolgirl

He can't afford an attorney right now. Believe me if he could, I wouldn't be asking you for help. He went to the court and registered the order there, but according to the full faith and credit law which is stated right on the order of protection Nevada HAS to honor the order and arrest her, but the police are treating him like the criminal! So going to the court there should NOT have had to be done.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">