• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

overwhelmed by freeloaders

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Joseph Willems

Kansas. I am a 100% disabled viet. vet. A woman declared her love for me and moved into my house 6 mos. ago, with her adult son. Since that time she has used my resources and my van to date other men, staying out days and nights at a time. She has cost me $4,000 thus far. She made me go to a bank and try to borrow $5,000 for her. She left me alone for thanksgiving, christmas, New years. I told her to get out, but she won't take her stuff and go. Can I have her furniture and personal belongings moved out of my house and into the yard or barn to force her to take these things and leave? My life isn't worth living as it is.

Last edited:

HomeGuru

Joseph Willems said:
Kansas. I am a 100% disabled viet. vet. A woman declared her love for me and moved into my house 6 mos. ago, with her adult son. Since that time she has used my resources and my van to date other men, staying out days and nights at a time. She has cost me $4,000 thus far. She made me go to a bank and try to borrow $5,000 for her. She left me alone for thanksgiving, christmas, New years. I told her to get out, but she won't take her stuff and go. Can I have her furniture and personal belongings moved out of my house and into the yard or barn to force her to take these things and leave? My life isn't worth living as it is.

**A: no, you must treat her like a tenant. Hire an attorney and kick her and her son out.

garrula lingua

HomeGuru, even if there is no landlord/tenant relationship ?
This woman and her friend are just guests who overstayed their welcome.

If they are stealing from OP (even if just taking his van without permission = stealing), does he not have the right to expell her & hers?

What about a Temp Restraining Order which says she & son cannot come within 100 yards of him & she can collect her possessions when accompanied by Sheriff.

OP: HomeGuru is right, if there is no theft or violence going on, then this is a civil dispute. You cannot destroy or damage her property, and you must evict her according to very strict eviction procedures.

However, If she or her son is violent, or stealing your things, then go to the police dept & swear out a complaint. Or, file for a civil restraining order based on any violence or theft (if indeed, it is happening).

If theft or violence is going on, then pursue getting a restraining order to keep her & her son 100 yds away from you & your residence (change the locks immediately). You still have to allow her to enter to get her things.

If you use self-help incorrectly (not going thru eviction process as HG said, you can be liable for the cost of her belongings & any compensation she's due because of the lock-out (motel costs, etc.).

Have you tried to contact Disabled Veterans of America ? They have some volunteers who maybe can help. Try the Veteran's Administration, also.

And, as you said you're a Viet Nam Vet, you must be about 55yo.
Check your Senior Center; sometimes attys volunteer to work on elder abuse cases. Even if you're not old enoe, I believe they would try to assist.

If you survived VietNam, then you can conquer this & your life is still worth every second of living. Just keep looking for the resources to help you - look up Disabled Vets, V.A. & ask the Senior Center for elderly abuse help.

Also, call the local Bar Association (attorneys bar) in your area; many attys will volunteer their services to help you.

Home Guru is saying you have to file an 'Unlawful Detainer" or eviction case. If there's violence or theft, I say you have to get a restraining order to keep her & her son to stay away from you.

At the very least, Joseph, you have to let people know what is happening.
Tell her she can't touch your van anymore & the next time she takes your van, call the cops & tell them your story. Don't threaten her, just do it.

Check with the Veteran's groups for help. They are a great bunch.

If she's comfortable, she's not going to move.
Maybe you should consider (quietly) giving your landlord notice & moving & tell the Landlord there are squatters there, without your permission.

Do you have any friends or relative nearby who you can tell about this ?
Possibly one of them could help ? ??can they move in, temporarily, to assist in ousting the woman ?

seniorjudge

Joseph Willems said:
Change the locks, move her stuff into the barn and send her a bill for storage.

Joseph Willems

Thank you for your help. I guess I will have to see the sheriff about this. I have a farm outside of a small mennonite town, and I am embarrassed for everyone to know I let this happen. I am afraid I will be declared an incompetent since the VA already has a guardian paying my bills. My kids back east will be upset about this to put it mildly. An SRS lady came out to interview me about elder abuse and said I had permitted them to move in and I seemed competent to her. You people have given me some good advice. I am 63 y.o. and not too old to learn who to trust. Thanks again.

garrula lingua

Joseph, a kind heart is never something to be embarrassed about - it's quite wonderful. Any embarrasment is hers.

I would call the Sheriffs or the SRS lady and tell her what's happening and ask her to help.

Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">