• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Parent issues

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Anna2011

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? AR

My parents are abusive. I am planning on leaving home and filing a police report. Is there anyway to approach this?

Also they want to report my boyfriend. We started dating when I was a minor (17) but am 18 now. We didn't do anything when I was a minor so could they report him? There is a 5 year age difference between us.

I am very scared right now and need as much help as I can get on both topics. Please get back to me soon if you are willing to help. Thank you

OHRoadwarrior

If you are 18, what is the problem? Put one foot in front of the other and soon you'll be walking out the door. Make sure to pull it shut behind you and leave the key. Heat is expensive.

Anna2011

If you are 18, what is the problem? Put one foot in front of the other and soon you'll be walking out the door. Make sure to pull it shut behind you and leave the key. Heat is expensive.
I'm just trying to make sure they can't do anything to my boyfriend or me

sandyclaus

My parents are abusive. I am planning on leaving home and filing a police report. Is there anyway to approach this?

Also they want to report my boyfriend. We started dating when I was a minor (17) but am 18 now. We didn't do anything when I was a minor so could they report him? There is a 5 year age difference between us.

I am very scared right now and need as much help as I can get on both topics. Please get back to me soon if you are willing to help. Thank you
What do you mean by abusive? Are they verbally, mentally, or physically abusive towards you? Have you been physically injured? Do you have marks or bruises? If so, I would most definitely go to the police and file a report. If this was past abuse, and there is no longer evidence of it, then it may be difficult to prove and police may not wish to pursue it.

And as for the reporting your boyfriend, the age of consent in Arkansas appears to be 16. There is no claim for statutory rape, even if you DID engage in sexual activity prior to you turning 18.

Just Blue

What is the abuse? Please clarify.

Anna2011

What do you mean by abusive? Are they verbally, mentally, or physically abusive towards you? Have you been physically injured? Do you have marks or bruises? If so, I would most definitely go to the police and file a report. If this was past abuse, and there is no longer evidence of it, then it may be difficult to prove and police may not wish to pursue it.

And as for the reporting your boyfriend, the age of consent in Arkansas appears to be 16. There is no claim for statutory rape, even if you DID engage in sexual activity prior to you turning 18.
Verbally mostly. They have threatened to kill me a few times. They hit me a couple times but the bruises went away. They are always putting me down and it's just a lot of stuff I can't deal with anymore. I'm scared to be in my own house sometimes because I think they'll do something. That's why I want to leave. Thank you for they boyfriend thing though I'm really happy to know they can't do anything about it considering he is the one looking out for me mostly and helping me get away and just with everything

Last edited:

Just Blue

Verbally mostly. They have threatened to kill me a few times. They hit me a couple times but the bruises went away. They are always putting me down and it's just a lot of stuff I can't deal with anymore. I'm scared to be in my own house sometimes because I think they'll do something. That's why I want to leave. Thank you for they boyfriend thing though I'm really happy to know they can't do anything about it considering he is the one looking out for me mostly and helping me get away and just with everything
You are a LEGAL ADULT. Move in with Mr. Wonderful so he can "take care of you". Likely he will not after a bit. So prepare to ...GASP!!...SELF SUPPORT!! Get a job. Like YESTERDAY!!!!!;):)

Anna2011

You are a LEGAL ADULT. Move in with Mr. Wonderful so he can "take care of you". Likely he will not after a bit. So prepare to ...GASP!!...SELF SUPPORT!! Get a job. Like YESTERDAY!!!!!;):)
Oh I will for sure self support there is no doubt about it. My Mr. Wonderful is just helping me get started and I really wouldn't want him to support me while I still around and watch tv all day I mean that's what unproductive lazy bums do. Especially after he's helping me leave I can't expect more then that :) thank you for all your help I'm just really glad to know my boyfriend and I can't get in any trouble here.

Just Blue

Oh I will for sure self support there is no doubt about it. My Mr. Wonderful is just helping me get started and I really wouldn't want him to support me while I still around and watch tv all day I mean that's what unproductive lazy bums do. Especially after he's helping me leave I can't expect more then that :) thank you for all your help I'm just really glad to know my boyfriend and I can't get in any trouble here.
(I likely will regret this BUT...)

Anna,

My eldest was 17 when she started University. She was FULLY self-supportive. Scholarships, grants and worked two jobs. At BARELY 17 1/2.

No two children are the same. Some mature differently then others due to upbringing, circumstance or just innately born disposition.:)

BUT at 18 and a legal adult, it confuses me why you need your "Mr Wonderful" to "get you started". Why can't you, on your own, get yourself "started"? Why can't you google up the applicable laws of your state to refute your parents threats? It is concerning to me. You seem, based on your posts here, very immature and not really ready for a "Mr wonderful". I'm kind of thinking he might not be so "wonderful".:(

Just think very hard of Mr w is a man you want to be beholden to. Good luck and I hope all works out well for you!! :)

Anna2011

(I likely will regret this BUT...)

Anna,

My eldest was 17 when she started University. She was FULLY self-supportive. Scholarships, grants and worked two jobs. At BARELY 17 1/2.

No two children are the same. Some mature differently then others due to upbringing, circumstance or just innately born disposition.:)

BUT at 18 and a legal adult, it confuses me why you need your "Mr Wonderful" to "get you started". Why can't you, on your own, get yourself "started"? Why can't you google up the applicable laws of your state to refute your parents threats? It is concerning to me. You seem, based on your posts here, very immature and not really ready for a "Mr wonderful". I'm kind of thinking he might not be so "wonderful".:(

Just think very hard of Mr w is a man you want to be beholden to. Good luck and I hope all works out well for you!! :)

I need a place to live. I'm moving out soon so I'm living with him. That's me getting started. I can't just leave home and not have a place to go. I know I'm ready for my Mr. Wonderful and he is absolutely without a doubt wonderful . My parents are the types of people who never let me get a job because that would mean they couldn't control my expenses. I have a pretty good scholarship and got loans from FAFSA. Every semester I get a refund check of at least 3,000$ which if I got to keep would be FANTASTIC because then I'd have money to get a place of my own and not have to count on Mr. W, etc. But again my mother would let me keep maybe $200 from that refund check because "she needed the rest." I am in no way trying to sound rude because you seem like a really nice person. Thank you for your concern and thanks so much for the luck. I really appreciate it. I can't believe I sound immature. I hope I stop sounding that way because well I'm not that immature.

CourtClerk

well since your plan if to move out and have decided your dependent on your FASFA. The school will need you to update your records. You may find that grants and scholarships are near impossible to get with parents who have decided not to sign a new one.

Just Blue

I need a place to live. I'm moving out soon so I'm living with him. That's me getting started. I can't just leave home and not have a place to go. I know I'm ready for my Mr. Wonderful and he is absolutely without a doubt wonderful . My parents are the types of people who never let me get a job because that would mean they couldn't control my expenses. I have a pretty good scholarship and got loans from FAFSA. Every semester I get a refund check of at least 3,000$ which if I got to keep would be FANTASTIC because then I'd have money to get a place of my own and not have to count on Mr. W, etc. But again my mother would let me keep maybe $200 from that refund check because "she needed the rest." I am in no way trying to sound rude because you seem like a really nice person. Thank you for your concern and thanks so much for the luck. I really appreciate it. I can't believe I sound immature. I hope I stop sounding that way because well I'm not that immature.
Honestly. Good Luck Sweetheart...I hope all works out well with you.

Please, and I mean this VERY nicely, remember any and ALL forms of Birth-control. Okay?:);)

Best wishes
Blue

single317dad

So, your plan is to shack up with Mr W and support yourselves via an excess of student aid? Great. Oh well, it works for so many others, what's the harm in one more? This one will be back in 2 years griping because CSE is recouping their TANF.

Sorry, I'm not usually this harsh, but this one hits a little close to home.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">