• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Parents threatening a relationship

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
If i do stay away from her until shes 18 and they still try to get the order what can i do to stop it ? so it simply doesnt go on my record since i agree to stay away from her?
Talk to your parent(s) and an attorney. They will want money, hopefully your attitude doesn't increase the cost.

Eekamouse

You wants don't supersede your girlfriend's parents wants. You want to be able to date your girlfriend. Her parents want you to stay away from her. Guess who is going to win. Go find some other girl to date that has parents who will put up with a boy like you in their child's life. Move on.

CdwJava

If she defies her parents' will, and you aid, encourage or assist her in defying her parents, you could face criminal prosecution for this.

As you have been repeatedly told, mom and dad have control of her until she is 18. If they want to, they can take away phones, computers, and ground her until she is 18.

You can either try to make amends and show them you are mature and responsible - and receptive to their wishes with regards to their daughter, or, you can continue to be self-absorbed and run the risk of running afoul of the law. Your call.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Okay, I haven't read the entire thread so apologies if this has already been said in the six pages I didn't yet read. The two pages I read are enough.

OP, there is NO law you can invoke that will get you the result you want. Her parents have 100% of the power - you have none. If they say no, it's no. If they say no and you continue, they get a restraining order. If they get a restraining order and you violate it, you go to jail.

It really is that simple.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
The law does not give one hoot whether the OP's girlfriend feels the same way. There is no chance - not, next to no chance, but NO chance, that there will be ANY resolution except the OP being told to keep his distance in the event that this ever ends up in court. The best possible advice that can be given to this young man is the advice he has already received from others - respect her parents wishes because the ONLY way he is ever going to see this girl before her 18th birthday - and quite possibly after that if she intends to be living under her parents' roof once she reaches her majority - is going to be with their permission. The law is NOT going to force her parents to let her see him if they do not want him to. So for them to deliberately make things difficult is the worst possible advice.

single317dad

Do none of you remember what is was like when you were a teenager?
I do! Me me me!

My peers were incredibly fickle, life was overflowing with heart-wrenching drama, and the 'love' was fleeting.

And none of the teens new how to start the court process of the lawsuit.
Ring. Ring.
"911, what's your emergency?"
"Someone is threatening me."

Just in case you run into anyone else who doesn't know how to report a crime.

Last edited:

Just Blue

OP,

I totally agree with EVERY POST on your thread except yours. That NEVER happens. You must be wrong. :):)

Think of it this way...Someday you may have a 16 year old child and another child refuses to stay away from yours. How would you react? Think about it...;);)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">