• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Paying other party's legal fees

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MichaelSmith

Sacramento, CA

There has been a temporary restraining order assigned to me from the Family Law Court in Sacramento. My lawyer says that if I win, the opposing party will have to pay my lawyer fees. Alternatively the other counsel says if they win, I will have to pay lawyer fees. The opposing lawyer is saying that his client has spent $1,500, but he has spent $35,000 of his time (pro bono) and hopes to recoup that. Yet I have talked to two other lawyers who said that the “American Rule” is in play which means that there is a slim chance of any side recovering lawyer fee’s regardless who wins.
1. How likely is it to receive lawyer costs if I win, and pay if I lose? What circumstances need to occur to have me receive my lawyer fees paid back, and for me to pay theirs?
2. Will the judge look at this and see that $35,000 is excessive for opposing counsel, especially assuming that he is doing it pro bono?

CdwJava

I have never heard of a situation in a restraining order hearing where one side has been ordered to pay the other side's legal fees.

Now, as a result of a divorce decree or some such thing, the payment of debts owed might be ordered. but, for a restraining order? I have never heard of such a thing.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">