• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

PD or Lawyer?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

amd23

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

I recently plead not guilty to an M1 domestic violence. Is a public defender good enough for this, or should I put myself in debt for a lawyer? I need it dropped or lowered. I just graduated with a teaching degree. I was honest about the facts with the officer before arrest, admitting I had been physical, but was inebriated. No one came forward, and there were no injuries.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

I recently plead not guilty to an M1 domestic violence. Is a public defender good enough for this, or should I put myself in debt for a lawyer? I need it dropped or lowered. I just graduated with a teaching degree. I was honest about the facts with the officer before arrest, admitting I had been physical, but was inebriated. No one came forward, and there were no injuries.
A public defender is an attorney. You may consider that you are kissing your teaching career goodbye due to the fact that you are a violent drunk. And QUIT STARTING NEW THREADS.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Public defenders are fully qualified attorneys who passed the same bar exam as a private attorney and often, because they have so many clients charged with the same offenses, can do a better job and know the ways to approach the court better than a private attorney, who does it less often would.

But it's rarely a choice. If you can afford a private attorney, you won't qualify for a PD.

amd23

I meant a private lawyer. I did not mean to be offensive, I know PDs are lawyers, however, I know they are overworked and for this reason get a bad rep. My question was more of one that seeks opinion. I did qualify for a PD, but loans or family might help with a private lawyer (might not, also). In this situation, I guess I was just looking for advice on if this specific charge would be better handled in the hands of a public or private lawyer.

Last edited by a moderator:

TigerD

I meant a private lawyer. I did not mean to be offensive, I know PDs are lawyers, however, I know they are overworked and for this reason get a bad rep. My question was more of one that seeks opinion. I did qualify for a PD, but loans or family might help with a private lawyer (might not, also). In this situation, I guess I was just looking for advice on if this specific charge would be better handled in the hands of a public or private lawyer.
Public defenders get a bad rap because they defend the indefensible. Private attorneys can choose not to take loser cases. You will rarely find attorneys with better experience than those who served as PDs or prosecutors.

DC

single317dad

Public defenders get a bad rap because they defend the indefensible. Private attorneys can choose not to take loser cases. You will rarely find attorneys with better experience than those who served as PDs or prosecutors.

DC
In addition to the quality of cases they're saddled with, I actually agree with OP that the public defenders in many areas are so overloaded that they couldn't possibly give proper consideration to any of their cases. While he may not have been entirely tactful in his statements, it's a valid concern, and one I took into account when I borrowed money to hire a lawyer after being unable to schedule a brief meeting or phone call with my PD for 4 weeks.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Frequently there just isn't anything to do four weeks in advance of the court date. Yes, I agree that a PD probably doesn't have time to call every client and say, no, there's nothing to report at this time. That doesn't mean you won't get proper attention when there actually is something to do.

If you want hand holding, pay for it.

JennK2009

That is not what PDs do all the time. PDs do recommend pleading when there is no way around anything.
Never said it happens all the time. But, apparently happens enough to earn that catchy little phrase.

PD's are incredibly overworked and don't have the time to dedicated to ensure the best possible defense for all their charges. Primarily, hear your side and not rely solely on a police report.

My friend qualified for a PD, but paid a private attorney for a consultation as well. Of course, he had no idea he had even broken a law to the degree the DA was pursuing.*

Why, yes, of course he had a better chance of dismissal for $2500, plus five grand more if it went to trial. He explained how the case was so convoluted that it needed to time for addressing the issues in order to the court. “Or skip me, ask for a deferment, and be on probation for a year.” At least then he then knew exactly what he was up against.

That $75 bought him a little peace of mind because he didn't meet his PD until court.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

DC
DC (slight hijack) did you get involved with the whole examsoft fiasco for barmaggedon?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Never said it happens all the time. But, apparently happens enough to earn that catchy little phrase.

PD's are incredibly overworked and don't have the time to dedicated to ensure the best possible defense for all their charges. Primarily, hear your side and not rely solely on a police report.

My friend qualified for a PD, but paid a private attorney for a consultation as well. Of course, he had no idea he had even broken a law to the degree the DA was pursuing.*

Why, yes, of course he had a better chance of dismissal for $2500, plus five grand more if it went to trial. He explained how the case was so convoluted that it needed to time for addressing the issues in order to the court. “Or skip me, ask for a deferment, and be on probation for a year.” At least then he then knew exactly what he was up against.

That $75 bought him a little peace of mind because he didn't meet his PD until court.
It only earns that phrase from the ignorant. Are there lazy lawyers? Yes. Are there lawyers that don't meet with their clients prior to the first hearing? Yes. Guess what -- it happens with retained attorneys too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">