• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Pending Abuse/ Neglect Case

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jayhawk36

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Nebraska
My wife, currently has an open for 2 1/2 years abuse / neglect case which had to be initiated to get help for her son for behavioral issues. Her son is now a WARD of the state of NE. The criminal case on him and the abuse/neglect case on her are still open and active and are reviewed every 3 to 6 months. My wife is asking me for a divorce and is wanting to move out of state before the divorce is final. First question; Isn't she bound by the court to remain in the court's jurisdiction until the dismissal or closure of the case? Isn't she not bound by the court to remain in the state as long as the child that is a ward of the state continues to remain that way or until 18 whichever comes first?

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Nebraska
My wife, currently has an open for 2 1/2 years abuse / neglect case which had to be initiated to get help for her son for behavioral issues. Her son is now a WARD of the state of NE. The criminal case on him and the abuse/neglect case on her are still open and active and are reviewed every 3 to 6 months. My wife is asking me for a divorce and is wanting to move out of state before the divorce is final. First question; Isn't she bound by the court to remain in the court's jurisdiction until the dismissal or closure of the case? Isn't she not bound by the court to remain in the state as long as the child that is a ward of the state continues to remain that way or until 18 whichever comes first?

Depends - has she been ordered to remain in the state? It may not necessarily be a given.

SESmama

Why does it matter to you? If this is not your child and/or she is not taking the child with her why does it matter that she wants to move away before the divorce is final?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">