• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Please help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kharper1980

What is the name of your state (Kansas)?

Hi I had a question. I was in a fight with my wife. She was yelling at me for an hour about something i didn't do. I appologized the whole time and then went to bed. Then next morning i woke up and she was still in a bad mood. The next morning she got mad at me again and started yelling again. After about 1 1/2 hrs of being yelled at I told my daughter to pack a bag and the we were going to leave. She continued yelling at me and I pulled her hair and told her that i loved her but i wasn't going to put up with her yelling at me any more. I then went into the closet to get some clothes on to leave. She was still yelling at me and accusing me of all sorts of stuff. While I was getting dressed I knocked over one of my kids BB Guns in my closet. So I bent over to put it back up and she said something to me that pissed me off. I came out of the closet and yelled at her to get out. The problem was that I was still holding the bb gun. She called the cops and I was arrested. I didn't ever point the gun at her. I didn't tell the police anything. I did tell my attorney. I have been charged with Aggrivated assult, demestic battery, and disorderly conduct. My wife has mental issues and I am now finding out that she was not taking her medication for at least a month before all of this. I have a clean record and have never been through anything like this before. The way i understand it they should offer a plea bargain. But my question is would it be a bad idea to try to fight the charges? The only thing they have against me is her word against mine and nothing else.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Hot Topic

You were in trouble the moment you laid your hands on her, e.g., you pulled her hair, told her that you loved her, but that you weren't going to put up with her yelling at you any more. If you love someone, you don't take aggressive action against them.

Since you know your wife has "mental issues," why didn't you contact her psychiatrist the next day when she was still in a bad mood? You had to know that she had her teeth into a perceived slight and wasn't going to let go so easily.

You can fight the charges, but pulling her hair is going to go against you.

And if you have a spouse with mental issues, why in the world do you have any kind of gun in the house?

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Um... Yeah.

(1) Hair pulling? Really? Because that would calm her down? :confused: Regardless of her "mental health issues" (sounding suspiciously like "hysterical woman" of old), she didn't engage in physical contact. So apparently her "mental health issues" don't interfere with self-control as much as your naturally superior nature. :rolleyes:

(2) A BB gun in the closet falls down? Not exactly a model of proper gun safety. Why leave the closet to engage someone who you want to get away from?

Good to hear that you have an attorney, I guess. But it's her choice to press charges; she felt threatened enough to stop yelling at you and to call the police instead, so she couldn't have been completely incoherent. At the very least, demonstrate the ability to take responsibility for your actions. Offer to go into counseling.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">