• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

potential danger...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lmshearer

My friends ex-husband is making vaigue and subtle threats to her and they have two small childern. They have been divorced for over a year and he used to be in the National Guard. He has a hx of alcohol abuse and drug problems and she thinks he may be using again. He has made idol threats to her life in the past but she feels he may be losing control thus it is adding more seriousness to the situation. i told her she should at least file a complaint with the police if not get a restraining order to start showing documentation of what i would consider illegal behavior. is this the right course of action? they are in a small town in the midwest and i'm in california and i cant just sit and wait for something bad to happen...
a concerned friendWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

CdwJava

She can speak to the police to determine if the threats rise to the level of a crime in her state, and she can check with the court or a victim advocacy organization to see if a restraining order might be possible given the specifics of her situation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">