• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Protective Order Petition

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

typrice74

Hello. I have an ex-husband who is harassing friends of mine about me. He is going to them and telling them bad things about me and my friends are coming to me and telling me what he's saying. He's calling me all types of names, etc and I have a strong feeling he compromised my email and social network sites. Don't you think this is harassment?

Can I fill out a protective order against him because I fear he may do something to me? I have some people telling me that this won't stand as directly harassing nor could he be served a petition for protection because, as VA law points out, I have not been subjected to any acts of violence, force or threat. But could harassment be recognized for protective orders? I just want this guy gone out my life...

thanks

Antigone*

Hello. I have an ex-husband who is harassing friends of mine about me. He is going to them and telling them bad things about me and my friends are coming to me and telling me what he's saying. He's calling me all types of names, etc and I have a strong feeling he compromised my email and social network sites. Don't you think this is harassment?

Can I fill out a protective order against him because I fear he may do something to me? I have some people telling me that this won't stand as directly harassing nor could he be served a petition for protection because, as VA law points out, I have not been subjected to any acts of violence, force or threat. But could harassment be recognized for protective orders? I just want this guy gone out my life...

thanks
Change your passwords. Ignore the man and anything "your friends" tell you about him.

TinkerBelleLuvr

Run full scans on your computers to check for any viruses. If anything, take your computer in to make sure there are no key loggers on your computer.

typrice74

No, you don't.
So him hacking into my stuff and harassing my friends won't grant me a protective order? I do fear for my physical security. How do they measure what is an act of threat, violence or force and what is not? I mean..this can lead to something serious he's just that type of guy.

Proserpina

So him hacking into my stuff and harassing my friends won't grant me a protective order? I do fear for my physical security. How do they measure what is an act of threat, violence or force and what is not? I mean..this can lead to something serious he's just that type of guy.

You don't have any proof. You have a "strong feeling". That is not proof.

typrice74

This proves nothing other than something was compromised.

It doesn't prove by whom, correct?
Not really..but the guy has just been using phony emails and sending them to guys he thinks I'm talking to. I already filed the protection order petition for harassment. Just not sure if this will stand because it's not physical.

Are protection orders only for physical acts? This doesn't apply to harassment of that nature?

Proserpina

Not really..but the guy has just been using phony emails and sending them to guys he thinks I'm talking to.

You also have no proof of that, right?

That it's actually Person A sending the emails?

I already filed the protection order petition for harassment. Just not sure if this will stand because it's not physical.

Are protection orders only for physical acts? This doesn't apply to harassment of that nature?

I'd be very surprised if you actually got the order. Very surprised.

It's not that it has to be physical - it just has to be a valid threat. And I'm sorry, but a guy allegedly harassing your friends does not suggest a threat to your welfare.

Calling you names isn't threatening you. And seriously - why are your friends coming to you and tattling?

typrice74

You also have no proof of that, right?

That it's actually Person A sending the emails?

I'd be very surprised if you actually got the order. Very surprised.

It's not that it has to be physical - it just has to be a valid threat. And I'm sorry, but a guy allegedly harassing your friends does not suggest a threat to your welfare.

Calling you names isn't threatening you. And seriously - why are your friends coming to you and tattling?

It could only be him sending stuff like that. Idk how I could prove that do you know??

But he did harass my friends..but I do see what you're saying. It's just wrong!! Dead wrong for him to do this stuff and bothering me through friends.

Proserpina

It could only be him sending stuff like that. Idk how I could prove that do you know??

It could be me.

It could be a so-called friend.

But he did harass my friends..but I do see what you're saying. It's just wrong!! Dead wrong for him to do this stuff and bothering me through friends.

If your friends are harassed, see if they want to file something against him.

But seriously - tell your friends to quit coming to you with this stuff. Tell them to actually BE your friends.

typrice74

It could be me.

It could be a so-called friend.

If your friends are harassed, see if they want to file something against him.

But seriously - tell your friends to quit coming to you with this stuff. Tell them to actually BE your friends.
Ok so suppose I do find out it is him? Could I win this case or would this be a totally different type of case?

So you are saying I cannot win this one because he poses no threat, violence or anything against me?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">