• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Protective Orders-Virginia

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mulattocookie

I am in Virginia. My husband and I got into a fight that he started a few weeks back. He went and filed charges against me and got a protective order in one county (the one where I live and the incident took place) and then immediately went and filed for a protective order in another county where neither of us works or lives. According to the protective order and the lady I talked to at the courts, it was filed two days after the first, but in actuality, it was filed the same day because when I was arrested the day before they say it was filed, but the first county could see it in the system and notified me that there was another order in a different county (but they couldnt find it to fax so I could be served).

The first protective order in the county where I live was good for 7 days has expired and our court date for the domestic violence is set for the 22nd. The second protective order was just served on me today. It originally expired on the 7th, but I was never served because he gave them the wrong door number and I tried to get myself served but they were having issues finding it because it was around the hoilidays and apparently they were unorganized. They finally served me with it when it was renewed for my failing to appear, even though he gave them a different door number which was again wrong, but I guess that's because I filed for a show cause on our custody order in that county and gave them my correct address last week. They extended the order on the 7th until the 21st of this month when we are set to appear again, the day before we go to court for the domestic violence case. In the second order, he marked that there were no other cases in virginia involving us pending, though he had just filed charges against me in another county. Does this count as perjury? Also, from what I understand from the code of virginia, one must file where either person lives, works or had an existing order in place (which we do not) and I believe where the incident took place. The second county where he filed is none of these. The only difference in the 2 orders was that there was a no contact order with my 5 year old son who he has custody of. We do have a custody order in that court because we both used to live there, but I find one thing has nothing to do with the other. He didn't file for custody or visitation changes, just a protective order with the reasoning that I hit him (my husband). And he was fully well aware I moved from there a few months ago, because for one the fight took place at my new house and second he put my new street name on the protective order.

My question basically is, can you file for protective orders in 2 places for the same incident?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">