• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Railroaded

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Stephen Simmons

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? North Carolina
Just need some link, or advise. I am a 42 year old male with no history of domestic violence and the only criminal history I have goes back to 22 years.

I left a relationship in December 2008. My ex-girlfriend took a 50b protective order out on me in September 2009, I have not seen or spoken to her since I left her. She found out I was in a new relationship, and then proceeded to take out the 50b. I was never served or knew anything about it.

In October of 2009, she went to the magestrait and said I contacted her via text messages. I was charged on October 14th 2009 with willfully and knowingly violating a protective order I was never served with. I was arrested December 11th 2009 and served with the protective order in court that morning.

Last month I was found guilty of the charge, even though I was not served with the order. I appealed it and have a trial in Superior court tomorrow. My ex has friends in the police department, and the Judge that found me guilty in district court, knew her from my ex's place of employment.

Any advice would be appreciated.

p.s.
I had to settle with a Public Defender because I am on disability.
There is no documentation in the files that I was ever served and the texts she claims I sent her were not threatening in any fashion.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">