• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Re-opening a closed DHS case

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Abundantjoy

What does a Colorado judge need to do other than read transcripts, to possibly reopen a child protective order?
The judge closed the case in March, after almost 2 1/2 years of court proceedings and intervention for my daughter. (No charges were made against her or the boyfriend.) She has now moved out of this state.

DHS now wants to reopen her case, because they think they have been "duped," by my daughter. They also stated under oath that they "screwed up," in not having a protection order in place to keep her from taking her children back into an abusive relationship with her boyfriend. The judge even admitted that he does not read every case, and that he must have been asleep to not have ordered that she not have continued relationship with her boyfriend.

Judge set the court date out to mid June and is reading transcripts to see if he can legally re-open the case, as well as ordered the kids not to be around the boyfriend. What does the law say abut this?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Gracie3787

What does a Colorado judge need to do other than read transcripts, to possibly reopen a child protective order?
The judge closed the case in March, after almost 2 1/2 years of court proceedings and intervention for my daughter. (No charges were made against her or the boyfriend.) She has now moved out of this state.

DHS now wants to reopen her case, because they think they have been "duped," by my daughter. They also stated under oath that they "screwed up," in not having a protection order in place to keep her from taking her children back into an abusive relationship with her boyfriend. The judge even admitted that he does not read every case, and that he must have been asleep to not have ordered that she not have continued relationship with her boyfriend.

Judge set the court date out to mid June and is reading transcripts to see if he can legally re-open the case, as well as ordered the kids not to be around the boyfriend. What does the law say abut this?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Cases can be reopened for valid reasons.

You don't give enough info for any help other than that.

PQN

Or they can just start a new case. Either way if she brings the children around an abusive boyfriend, DHS can get involved again.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">