• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Really need help on what to do in this situation :(?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

lizachka921

Really need advice on a family situation and posted it here because I have no idea where else to post this because I really need advice and I actually do think that this is considered emotional abuse, so perhaps it is a bit fitting.

So my entire family is extremely religious and very conservative. A month or two ago, I left the church and explained everything to my family. They were NOT accepting, nor respectful of my choice. This makes it incredibly hard to live at home with them (I am 17 so am not able to move out yet). They are rude and simply immature. They guilt me constantly and beg for me to become a Christian. They basically don't let me out of the house with any friends (because they aren't Christians). They were even going to track how many miles I went on my car to make sure I don't go anywhere I am not “supposed to”. They were even going to take away the internet and basically make me live in a prison and watch over me anytime I go onto the computer to make sure I am only doing homework. All of this is difficult as is of course but today I found out some horrible news :(
My parents said that my sister and her husband will be living with us in a few months for whichever period of time it takes for them to buy their own house. My sister and her husband are also Christians and they too, come at me from every corner to try and “save” me. They don't respect my decision or accept it. I can't imagine how difficult it will be to live in a house with two more people who will be trying to do EVERYTHING they can to change me. Even now, they don't leave me alone when I ask them nicely. Not only is the religious aspect of having them live at our house hard, but also the fact that I don't feel comfortable around my sister's husband. Things like going/sharing the same bathroom with them :// and also my skin hasn't been looking too good recently and it will be hard for me to walk around with him there and overall, it would just be uncomfortable for me to be around him.
With that said, I can whole-heatedly say that I will kill myself if this happens for sure. I don't know if there is anyway my parents will reconsider allowing them to move in with us, so I need some advice on what I can do. ://

Proserpina

Really need advice on a family situation and posted it here because I have no idea where else to post this because I really need advice and I actually do think that this is considered emotional abuse, so perhaps it is a bit fitting.

So my entire family is extremely religious and very conservative. A month or two ago, I left the church and explained everything to my family. They were NOT accepting, nor respectful of my choice. This makes it incredibly hard to live at home with them (I am 17 so am not able to move out yet). They are rude and simply immature. They guilt me constantly and beg for me to become a Christian. They basically don't let me out of the house with any friends (because they aren't Christians). They were even going to track how many miles I went on my car to make sure I don't go anywhere I am not “supposed to”. They were even going to take away the internet and basically make me live in a prison and watch over me anytime I go onto the computer to make sure I am only doing homework. All of this is difficult as is of course but today I found out some horrible news :(
My parents said that my sister and her husband will be living with us in a few months for whichever period of time it takes for them to buy their own house. My sister and her husband are also Christians and they too, come at me from every corner to try and “save” me. They don't respect my decision or accept it. I can't imagine how difficult it will be to live in a house with two more people who will be trying to do EVERYTHING they can to change me. Even now, they don't leave me alone when I ask them nicely. Not only is the religious aspect of having them live at our house hard, but also the fact that I don't feel comfortable around my sister's husband. Things like going/sharing the same bathroom with them :// and also my skin hasn't been looking too good recently and it will be hard for me to walk around with him there and overall, it would just be uncomfortable for me to be around him.
With that said, I can whole-heatedly say that I will kill myself if this happens for sure. I don't know if there is anyway my parents will reconsider allowing them to move in with us, so I need some advice on what I can do. ://

You need counseling immediately.

Please get some help.

CdwJava

Have you considered speaking with a counselor? If the situation is such that you feel the only way out is to kill yourself, then you need some help. Seriously.

Understand that as Christians of an evangelical stripe (so it sounds) they likely feel obligated to try and save you. If you had been a member of their church for any length of time, you should understand that.

Yes, it might be tough living around your parents and your sister and her husband, but you only have to hang in there until you are 18. When you are 18 you are free to move out on your own and make your own way ... though, that might be tough if you have no job or means to support yourself, and you may will NOT likely be permitted to bring much with you when you go.

Is there someone at the church that you can talk to? I am very familiar with this situation and with overzealous parents/families, and have found that pastors, elders or youth pastors can sometimes act as a good intermediary to try and come up with a reasonable accommodation - and that might mean allowing you to stay with someone else for a short time.

Killing yourself is never the answer. Things seem bleak now, but your 17 and if you can bear it for another year, you'll be an adult and can live on your own. Seek counseling, get a social network of friends, and if need be, contact your local family crisis center or YMCA/YWCA. They can help you find outside help for your situation.

From a legal perspective, the only way you can get out now is either by court order or emancipation. However, the latter option requires a petition from your parents and it doesn't seem like they'd be willing to do that for you based on what you described. Good luck and if it ever gets too bad, don't be afraid to call the police.

Proserpina

Killing yourself is never the answer. Things seem bleak now, but your 17 and if you can bear it for another year, you'll be an adult and can live on your own. Seek counseling, get a social network of friends, and if need be, contact your local family crisis center or YMCA/YWCA. They can help you find outside help for your situation.

From a legal perspective, the only way you can get out now is either by court order or emancipation. However, the latter option requires a petition from your parents and it doesn't seem like they'd be willing to do that for you based on what you described. Good luck and if it ever gets too bad, don't be afraid to call the police.

What makes you think this OP would meet the standards required for emancipation?

Specially given we don't even know the US state?

LdiJ

I am going to repeat the advice to speak to a counselor immediately. A school counselor, a local crisis center...anyone you can find. You have less than a year to go until you turn 18 and can do whatever you feel is best for you. Use that time to prepare an exit strategy.

dave33

I will repeat what has been said several times.. Suicide is NOT the answer.

Now, as far as the religion thing goes, try not to just say no, you disagree or whatever your true feelings are. In this situation
a little b.s. may be called for. To make things more bearable at home, try to ease your way around the topic. My suggestion is to
say that you are thinking about it. Tell them you understand and may even agree with them more than you initially thought you did.
You need some time to think things through. Tell them you have been praying for an answer to your dilemma. I usually do not suggest the dishonest
route, but when dealing with religious fanatics cvommon sense problem solving tactics pretty much go out the window. Basically, tell them what they want to hear (as much as you can stand anyhow).

What's the deal with the skin not looking to good?

tranquility

Be grateful for what you do have. Seek counseling. Go to www.reddit.com/r/atheism for many others with similar stories.

las365

I inferred from
I don't feel comfortable around my sister's husband
and the comment about her skin that the BIL is either somewhat sexually inappropriate around OP or teases/bullies her about her looks. Obviously I also assumed our OP is a girl.

I'm hoping that OP will come back and let us know how it's going.

st-kitts

I inferred from and the comment about her skin that the BIL is either somewhat sexually inappropriate around OP or teases/bullies her about her looks. Obviously I also assumed our OP is a girl.

I'm hoping that OP will come back and let us know how it's going.
I took the skin comment to mean she was enduring the typical but altogether unpleasant teenage acne that makes people uncomfortable and the type she might cover with make-up except at home and therefore, might not want outsiders around her to see her skin... This could be totally off base, but that was my guess.

I hope OP has talked with a counselor as advised by all here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">