• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Restraining Order Dropped

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

af1026

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MN
So about 2 weeks ago I got a restraining order against my boyfriend and I want to know how to drop it. Secondly, my boyfriend has court coming up on Jan 7, 2010 for pretrail. My main concern is that he may have to go to jail for 30-90 days, and I want to stop this. What can I do to make sure he won't have to go to jail?

CdwJava

To drop the restraining order, you will have to find out how to go back before a judge. However, if the order was granted not at your request but on the court's motion due to the criminal offense, then you have no real say in the matter.

Likewise with the criminal aspect of things. You can do nothing to see that he does not go to jail. You can speak to the prosecuting attorney if you like and express your hope and desire that your abuser not be punished for attacking you, but he has no legal requirement to act on your request.

Understand that more than 75% of DV victims recant or change their mind about pursuing the criminal matter after the incident. The state understands this and many DAs will ignore your wishes because they see it as part of the victimology.

So, what makes you think that he does not deserve punishment for his actions?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">