• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Restraining Order & Harassment Restraining Orders?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nortiz87

:confused:What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ

Hi everyone. Well after searching online for information, I have come here in hopes for some direction about what I can and cannot do. Here is my story:

Since 2004 when I started dating my now husband his mother can harassed me constantly. I was 17 years old and she would call my phone calling me horrible names, threatening to have people beat me up. I have put up with it until recently when in August I had my first baby. Now mind you, the calls and threats and name calling have not stopped since 2004. I have learned to ignore her.

When I was in the last weeks of my pregnancy she called my phone threatening once again to have someone hurt me and my family. She also told me to have my dad take me there so she could "beat my ass". She also was going around telling people lies about me like that I have other kids and that my baby is not her son's. She is a lunatic. She is drunk almost everyday and also smokes weed and does other drugs.

As I am sure any of you would do, since this has been going on for 4 years now, when I was pregnant I decided that she would not see my daughter unless she was clean from drugs and alcohol which is clearly not an unmeritted request. All she ever says is that she "keeps it real" and that she can do whatever she wants. So naturally, she hasnt seen my daughter. She has apologized but she's done that many times only to call the next day and curse me out again. She used to call our house at 12, 1am... She leaves my husband messages screaming "IM YOUR MOTHER!".

But today, Ive had enough. She called my phone restricted twice. The second time I answered and she was screaming at me to let her see my daughter. Of course I said started yelling but she wont let me get a word in otherwise and she again said for me to send my mom over so she can beat her ass. As soon as I hung up on her, she called my husband cousin and told him that we were going to "get ours" and to "watch out".

I am just fed up with the threats and I am ready do something about it. Like I said, I have been searching for information in NJ about TRO's and HRO's but I am bringing up things about Domestic Abuse, etc. I want to know what my rights are and what I can do to make this stop. I want a restraining order for my daughter and myself against her.

She just called me two more times, restricted, playing music. Any advice would be really helpful. I didnt start document anything until the last 3 calls she just made to so I dont have concrete evidence per say. Her own son (my husband) can attest to the abuse and so can my family. Thank you all in advance.

cyjeff

I would start by calling the police and reporting her behavior.

From your post alone, I can see her facing some charges.

Then, get your number changed.

Then, tell your husband to grow a backbone and stand up to mom.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">