• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Restraining Order Modifications Made on Restrained Person's Request

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

beth22285

I'm a 20 year old female from Los Angeles, CA, and I went through proceedings today to file a restraining order against my ex-boyfriend. To my surprise, he came to court in order to request that the terms of the restraining order be modified. He lied and said that he lived very close to me (to my knowledge, he lives at least 7 miles away, but of course his residence was not inquired or verified) and that he wanted the spatial limitation that must be maintained between us lowered to 50 yards instead of the standard 100 yards. He also requested that the commissioner add a clause stating that he could enter my workplace or other public places where I were/might be and that this not be considered a violation. I expressed my concern to the commissioner, saying that the defendant lived nowhere near me and had no reason to request this stipulation, and the judge looked me in the eye and coldly stated that "fifty yards would be fine." My concern is that he is now able to drive by my house and possibly vandalize my current boyfriend's vehicle, spy on me, etc. My worries arise from his past behavior and threats. What would the motivation of my ex be in requesting these modifications? I feel he must have received someone else's advice to request them, and I want to be aware of what this might mean. If you have any thoughts or similar experiences, please share them - thanks!

stephenk

every time he violates the order, call the police and report him. is this a temporary order or a permanent order? Did the court grant any of his other requests or just agreed to the 50 yard limit?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">