• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Restraining order question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Eve10784

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

I filed for an injunction for protection against domestic violence. I was granted with a temporary injunction until the hearing. The respondent has not been served yet and he continues to communicate with me through calls and texts. Am I required to communicate with him in return, until he gets served, although the temporary injunction says "no contact?"

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

I filed for an injunction for protection against domestic violence. I was granted with a temporary injunction until the hearing. The respondent has not been served yet and he continues to communicate with me through calls and texts. Am I required to communicate with him in return, until he gets served, although the temporary injunction says "no contact?"
Absolutely not. Even if you have a court order saying you have to communicate with him because you have mutual children, you're not going to get "dinged" for not responding in this situation.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Why would you believe that you are "required" to communicate with him? I suspect most of these calls/texts have nothing to do with anything urgent, and as such, if you truly felt you needed this injunction, just step back and DON'T RESPOND. Period.

Exceptions: If you have mutual children and there is necessary information that must be exchanged. Examples: "School called, Suzy Q is being taken to the emergency room" or "Suzy Q left her report at your place. Due today. Please drop off at school."

The, "Why aren't you answering honey bunny? I miss you, is something wrong?" messages can be ignored with impunity.

If you don't have mutual children, block his #'s and emails. Now.

And either way, get into counseling.

latigo

The only communication that you could prompt that would not be in violation of the TRO would be to inform him of its existence. But only if you have reason to believe that he has not been otherwise made aware of it.

Also, you should keep a log or diary of all of his efforts to reach out to you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">