• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

restraining order restriction

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

drem64

What is the name of your state? CA

This may not sound like it falls under domestic violence, but that's what it's filed under.

I have a restraining order against a man who lives across the hall from me in university dormitory housing.

The housing people have been very uncooperative and refuse to move him away from me for safety reasons. I filed the order to go about my daily activities as normal without fear of encountering this person (he must stay 30 feet from me at all times).

I've been told that I am not allowed to be with friends next door to him if the door is open, because it would be comparable to trapping him if he walks by.

This sounds silly to me because it shouldn't matter whether I pass him in the hallway or whether I'm in someone's room. He's still in violation, regardless of where I am. The order protects me in my normal activities assuming I'm not going up to his door and waiting for him to come out so I can call the cops.

Am I correct? Can I hang out with friends next door to him with the door open? He was supposed to have moved out by now and the burden is upon him to comply with the order.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">