• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Restraining order violated by a second party (who has custody of me)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Tila

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? michigan

Hi. I'm 17. I've been in my grandmother's custody since I was 13. There's a restraining order against my mother. Since 2 years ago, she's been in contact with my grandmother (her mother), and I know my grandmother "keeps her updated" about me. I suspect some of my grandmother's more... random... rules are from her. But the thing is, 3 times now she's been here. The first was "a surprise" (and man was it), when my grandmother wanted us to reconcile. The second time, they claimed they had "got talking" and forgot the time, so she was still here when I got home. This third time, she was just hanging out and showed no signs of leaving until I had a screaming fit at them. I also suspect there have been other times she's been here, because of things missing from my room (underwear). My grandmother sees it as "getting us to reconcile" and will go on about wanting her to have a role in my life.

My mother is really mentally ill and the restraining order was because she's been violent toward me in the past (knocked teeth out of my head, dislocated my shoulder, and chased me down the street with a steak knife), once "taught me a lesson" about how much I needed her by leaving me in another city with no money, coat, or shoes, and depending on her mood, is either violently jealous of my stepfather's attention toward me or encourages it. She's still with him. I don't know what she's been diagnosed with, apparently that's her private medical info, but it's one of the personality disorders. She's very manipulative, and my grandmother generally does what she wants (and I think is a bit afraid of her). I DO have a social worker (in theory) and at one point, I had a GAL. I haven't heard form the first in over a year (my grandmother may have but that's no help), and the second in a long time (maybe since I was 14?).

Is my grandmother allowed to invite her in? When we've argued about this, she's said that this is her house, and that's her daughter, and she grew up here, and she'll invite her in if she wants. Which makes me feel terribly guilty, but isn't actually quite true. My grandfather left the house and land to me in his will (it was his family farm), to be taken care of (I'm not sure what the terms for all this is) by my great-aunt until I turn 18. My great-aunt despises my mother, but she's 78 and I don't want to bother her if this is something I should be able to take care of myself, or if there's nothing really that can be done because my grandmother is inviting her. I know the restraining order was supposed to keep HER away from ME (years ago, I ran into her at a store and SHE called... someone... to report ME for violating the restraining order) but I am not sure how it works with me being in my grandmother's custody for another 7 months, and her inviting her over (and actually I totally do by that my grandmother thinks it's her own idea and a good thing... I'm also sure it's not either of those things).

I don't get told a lot around here, so I'm sorry if this has been vague.

I'mTheFather

You ought to confide in one of the counselors at school. If the counselor does nothing, call the police the next time mom visits.

single317dad

It sounds like you need not only the assistance of the police, but a new custodian. That's not a simple matter by any means; there is certainly a shortage of people willing to care for a teenager, the foster system isn't exactly Utopia, and there/s a chance you would be an adult before anything was decided at any rate. Still, I don't think your grandmother is serving your best interests by her actions.

Regardless of the outcome, I recommend you cut all ties with these toxic people as soon as you're legally able to.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">