• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is this right?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Nevada

I was recently asked by a friend of mine f I would be interested in doing home care for her 8 year old son. He is on a vent, g-tube, trach, needs suctioning etc. Very high tech.

I do not have the qualifications that I would think would be needed for such a job, and when I asked she said that it was not necessary.

So I started to work there, only doing bed baths, range of motion etc. Nothing to do with the high tech portion of his care. I told her that I didn't feel comfortable with the other aspects.

I noticed while there though, that her and her boyfreind spend the entire day in their bedroom. I was cleaning up the boy earlier this week and all of a sudden one of his machines started going off. I had no idea what it meant so I knocked on their bedroom door, and she came out. She told me that I needed to learn how to take care of these things.

I told her again that I did not feel comfortable doing them. I am not a nurse! I do not think that I am experienced enough to do trach changes and g-tube, etc.

She said that Medicaid did not need to know that she was sleeping during the day and that I was the one doing these things, and not to worry because she would train me.

This sent up a huge red flag for me. And the fact that her boyfriend (who cares for the boy during the night) told me not to say anything to anyone that the two of them are b/f g/f) I don't know why.

So besides all of this I also was concerned because I had left on Friday afternoon to return Monday morning to find the boy in the same clothes I had put him in before the weekend.

At that time a state woman came to the door, I thought it was the boys teacher so I opened the door, I asked who it was and she identified herself. I went to get my friend and she came out.

The state woman investingated, looking through the house and into the boys room. His bed was soaked in urine, and he had a sheet around his head and neck. My friend told me to go in and fix him before the state woman went in but I didn't get in before that. It was like 2 minutes after I had gotten to work.

Well the state woman saw the boy. Left his room, and said than you. That was it. I raced into the boys room pulling the sheet from him. I asked my friend how he could have gotten that way and she said he does it all the time.

My question is:
Should I be worried about the boy. The state came and left so I assume that it wasn't a big deal, maybe I am just overreacting?

And should I be concerned about working in her home. I am scared that something will happen that I do not know how to fix.

Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks. And sorry for the long post.

mistoffolees

Get out of there - unless you want to find yourself charged with manslaughter and/or neglect.

Who was the 'state woman'? I'd call CPS if the 'state woman' wasn't from CPS.

Get out of there - unless you want to find yourself charged with manslaughter and/or neglect.

Who was the 'state woman'? I'd call CPS if the 'state woman' wasn't from CPS.
I was told by my friend that it was a social worker for the state. She said that people are always reporting her and that it is nothing to worry about.

Yes I thought about getting out of there. But I feel bad for this boy. If she is in bed all day noone is taking care of the boy. I thought about calling CPS, but after the woman left without doing anything I questioned if it would make any difference.

mistoffolees

I was told by my friend that it was a social worker for the state. She said that people are always reporting her and that it is nothing to worry about.

Yes I thought about getting out of there. But I feel bad for this boy. If she is in bed all day noone is taking care of the boy. I thought about calling CPS, but after the woman left without doing anything I questioned if it would make any difference.
Since you don't have any idea who the 'social worker for the state' represents or what her job is, why would you conclude that CPS wouldn't do anything?

If you choose to stay involved, you are risking serious legal repercussions.

I am not going to stay there. I told her yesterday that I was not going to be able to stay because I refuse to do the high tech portion of his care because I feel that I am not qualified and I would not want to take that resposibility.

As far as CPS I am going to try to file a report. I just hope that it will be taken seriously, since the friend said they go there all the time. But I hope that the child will get the care he needs.

Thank you for your help.

CSO286

Call CPS!! Call CPS!!!

If you are providing care for a child you are a MANDATED REPORTER. This means that is you have any reason to believe that the child is being neglected in any way, then you are required by law to report it to the proper authorities.
Failing to do so can be a crime.
And frankly, if the parents are not providing the approriate level of care, or engaging professionals with the appropriate training, for the child's medical needs, Trach and vent care, then that child should not be in thier home!

Last edited:

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
I also agree.

I have spent time over the past year with a family member in a similar situation. The original expectation was that all of the extended family would be trained with trach changes, etc. I refused and suggested to my Mom that she refuse also - not something I wanted to get involved with, and if something went wrong?!?!? They did hire help for when they were at work, and the rest of us were there more for company.

There is tons of room for concern - call CPS.

Antigone*

My daughter has a trach, is on a vent, and is fed by a g-tube. I would never ever allow someone who is not properly trained to even come near my daughter.

This woman is no mother and the child needs to be in a safe environment where he will be properly cared for.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Nevada

I was recently asked by a friend of mine f I would be interested in doing home care for her 8 year old son. He is on a vent, g-tube, trach, needs suctioning etc. Very high tech.

I do not have the qualifications that I would think would be needed for such a job, and when I asked she said that it was not necessary.

So I started to work there, only doing bed baths, range of motion etc. Nothing to do with the high tech portion of his care. I told her that I didn't feel comfortable with the other aspects.

I noticed while there though, that her and her boyfreind spend the entire day in their bedroom. I was cleaning up the boy earlier this week and all of a sudden one of his machines started going off. I had no idea what it meant so I knocked on their bedroom door, and she came out. She told me that I needed to learn how to take care of these things.

I told her again that I did not feel comfortable doing them. I am not a nurse! I do not think that I am experienced enough to do trach changes and g-tube, etc.

She said that Medicaid did not need to know that she was sleeping during the day and that I was the one doing these things, and not to worry because she would train me.

This sent up a huge red flag for me. And the fact that her boyfriend (who cares for the boy during the night) told me not to say anything to anyone that the two of them are b/f g/f) I don't know why.

So besides all of this I also was concerned because I had left on Friday afternoon to return Monday morning to find the boy in the same clothes I had put him in before the weekend.

At that time a state woman came to the door, I thought it was the boys teacher so I opened the door, I asked who it was and she identified herself. I went to get my friend and she came out.

The state woman investingated, looking through the house and into the boys room. His bed was soaked in urine, and he had a sheet around his head and neck. My friend told me to go in and fix him before the state woman went in but I didn't get in before that. It was like 2 minutes after I had gotten to work.

Well the state woman saw the boy. Left his room, and said than you. That was it. I raced into the boys room pulling the sheet from him. I asked my friend how he could have gotten that way and she said he does it all the time.

My question is:
Should I be worried about the boy. The state came and left so I assume that it wasn't a big deal, maybe I am just overreacting?

And should I be concerned about working in her home. I am scared that something will happen that I do not know how to fix.

Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks. And sorry for the long post.
You absolutely should not be working in that home. You are not trained for it and you do not want to be liable if something happens. You are also right to be concerned about the child.

Personally, I would be contacting that social worker and expressing your concerns...AFTER you quit the job.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I agree with the liability aspect of this...but just as important - do you REALLY want to be responsible for the death of this child?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">