• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Roommate Problems: How to Deal with crazy Roommate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kiyomihb

I am living in CA.

I have a roommate who is 52 years old (Japanese/American grew up in US). He was pretty good roommate from Aug 2001 (we moved in). I guess was good roommate just because he never lived in apt until end of July 2007. He was living with his girlfriend whole time but he came back once a while but he never stayed the apt no longer than 1 week. Basically, I was living in 2+2 by myself whole time.

He started to live in the apt end of July 2007, I guess he broke up with his girlfriend. I can tell by his attitude he is not happy when I bring my friends over to the apt and especially men (I never through any parties). One day (a month later) he couldn’t hold any longer and his anger brow up. He got so furious he started to insult me, criticize me, pressing me down, and complain about me everything. I didn’t say much because I was so scared.

I waited two days to speak to him again but his reaction was the same. I started to communicate with him by email and I kindly asked him to move out and willing to help/find him a place but he ignored all my email. The reason I asked him to move out just because I have been living there and taking care of the apt, I have a cat, and I have medical bill to take care of. It is much harder for me to find another apt than my roommate. I have been looking for apt but so far not success because of my cat. Most of them said “No pet” unless I pay away more than what my roommate and I pay now. .

We haven’t talked since beginning of Sep. He started to doing annoying stuff such as; no longer sharing TV, microwave, rice cooker, oven toaster, and etc. So, I bought all. He asked me to make a half of space freezer and fridge for him even though he doesn’t cook. And, I did give him spaces. He also made divider in the freezer and fridge by cardboard and tapes. He stared to leave mess in the living room, slamming the doors and etc. Those little annoying stuff never seems to end. His lunatic action makes me think he is insane. I think he tries to annoy me on purposely and I feel so uncomfortable staying my apt.

I really don’t know he is mad at me or simply he is unhappy person. When I told my guy friends my roommate made comments he want to taste me, do me just once, and I have nice body, something like that when we are good roommate (before he lost temper), all my friends say he is jealous and can’t stand some guy coming over to the apt.
He is all the time glued to the couch in the living room; I feel that I can't even come out of my room. I would like to get along with him and just deal as two adults but obviously that's not possible. He is very stubborn and possible-aggressive.

This is example: My guy friend who owns private investigation company and he is 55 years old. He tried to help me my living situation.
I ordered Chinese food and after we done eating my friend offered food “would you like to have some Chinese food?” My roommate immediately got up from his chair and said to him "I don't want to be your friend!!!, I don't want to know you!!!, don't talk to me!!!, what are you don't here!!!, don't be used!!! " My friend realized that he has own issue and very angry person.

I've asked my landlady for advice but she says we have both signed the lease and doesn't want to get involved. This living situation is beginning to create a lot of stress in my life. my questions: Can i legally make my roommate move out? and/or is it possible to get a restraining order against my roommate? Or, what should I do with this situation?What is the name of your state?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">