• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Settlement Agreement And Mutual Release

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ChrisWilks90210

I received a mutual release agreement which would make me admit to engaging in harassing and defamatory conduct and hacking into an email account. It also says I must pay $15,000 to the plaintiff because of her loss of work due to damage to her reputation, physical injury, and property damage. All of which cannot be proven, simply because I never did anything wrong. If I do this, they will drop the TRO. The TRO is only important because I start law school in fall.
I have never once laid a hand on her, and cannot be shown to have done this, i.e. no witnesses/police report. Likewise there are emails, text messages, and visits well after all these incidents took place. This stems from a video being placed on the internet of her smoking marijuana. She is powerful politically and is using her legal connections to pressure me into settling and admitting this.
At this point I am confident I can win because I never did anything violent actions to her, and did not post any video. It will cost me another $6,000 for a lawyer, and I would much rather fight this out then have to admit to anything I did not do, and pay $15,000.
As the way it reads now I will not sign it, however if they remove the $15,00 and the admittance, I would likely sign it. How likely are they to do this? How can signing this agreement come back to hurt me? Do you have any other suggestions?

Banned_Princess

I received a mutual release agreement which would make me admit to engaging in harassing and defamatory conduct and hacking into an email account. It also says I must pay $15,000 to the plaintiff because of her loss of work due to damage to her reputation, physical injury, and property damage. All of which cannot be proven, simply because I never did anything wrong. If I do this, they will drop the TRO. The TRO is only important because I start law school in fall.
I have never once laid a hand on her, and cannot be shown to have done this, i.e. no witnesses/police report. Likewise there are emails, text messages, and visits well after all these incidents took place. This stems from a video being placed on the internet of her smoking marijuana. She is powerful politically and is using her legal connections to pressure me into settling and admitting this.
At this point I am confident I can win because I never did anything violent actions to her, and did not post any video. It will cost me another $6,000 for a lawyer, and I would much rather fight this out then have to admit to anything I did not do, and pay $15,000.
As the way it reads now I will not sign it, however if they remove the $15,00 and the admittance, I would likely sign it. How likely are they to do this? How can signing this agreement come back to hurt me? Do you have any other suggestions?
I suggest you reference your state, preferably in the beginning where it indicates What is the name of your state? (US LAW ONLY)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">