• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Siblings' Right to Visit Mother

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lipepe

What is the name of your state? Maryland

For many years after my father died 20 some years ago, my mother lived by herself. But for the past 5 years or so, she has been living in a cramped and cluttered apartment with one of my younger brothers who takes care of her and who also has gained control of her assets. Recently because of a financial problem with a sibling, he has cut off all communication with us. He has isolated her from the rest of her 4 other children and refuses to let us visit her. What legal rights or recourse do the rest of the siblings have? Thanks for any advice in advance.

PepeWhat is the name of your state?

BL

This really isn't a DV issue , but if you're all that concerned perhaps you should get the Adult Protective Office to investigate the issues .

lipepe

Sorry, but I could not find a category on this forum that would fit this case. Family Law deals only with divorce, child support, etc. Elder Law only deals with nursing homes, etc. Yes, I am concerned about my younger brother denying the siblings to visit our mother. That is why I am asking for information on legal rights or recourses that may be available to me (us). I would appreciate more constructive or informative advice.

Pepe

Blonde Lebinese said:
This really isn't a DV issue , but if you're all that concerned perhaps you should get the Adult Protective Office to investigate the issues .

BL

And the only other thing you could do is challenge the appointment of your sibling in the court of Law , of your mothers' affairs , or consult a Lawyer on Elder Law .

I don't know how more constructive it can get , but adult protective would be the first choice as you describe the situation .

If your brother is misusing funds they can find out and he could even be investigated for that . The state may even step in and handle your mothers' affairs .

BlondiePB

lipepe said:
Sorry, but I could not find a category on this forum that would fit this case. Family Law deals only with divorce, child support, etc. Elder Law only deals with nursing homes, etc. Yes, I am concerned about my younger brother denying the siblings to visit our mother. That is why I am asking for information on legal rights or recourses that may be available to me (us). I would appreciate more constructive or informative advice.

Pepe
The Elder Law section of this site is the correct place for this issue. You have been pointed in the correct direction by Blonde Lebinese and garrula lingua.

lipepe

BlondiePB said:
The Elder Law section of this site is the correct place for this issue. You have been pointed in the correct direction by Blonde Lebinese and garrula lingua.
Thanks for all the replies. I don't believe my brother is abusing our mother, except that he refuses to allow the rest of us to visit her, or any forms of contacts with her, such as conveying our phone calls and letters. We feel this is unreasonable, but don't want to just knock on his door and make a scene, which would only upset her even more.

Pepe

mb94

1. There is more to abuse then just hitting. If he is misusing her funds or ignoring her needs it is abuse. Her living in a home that is dirty, cluttered, or unsafe is a form of abuse.

2. The fact that he refuses to let anyone else have contact with her is a red flag the he is abusing her. You have to get the image out of your mind of abuse being something only done by people who are evil or violent. Some abusive people really do think that they are doing the best for the other person but their actions will end up doing harm. It's possible your brother is so just overwhelmed for caring for a parent that he is starting to act in a way that is not rational or healthy.

3. Since you haven't had contact with her you don't actually know that she is not being abused. And since he isn't going to let you have contact then it seems wise to send in a social worker, who is trained in recognizing elder abuse, to check it out. They'll also just make sure that your bother is dealing with the stress of being a caretaker and can refer him to programs that will help him out.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">