• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Simple Domestic Assault

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jallenjr

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan
My daughter has a LONG history of drug/alcohol abuse, and in fact has lost
custody of her daughter in the past, as a result! The other day she had
a relapse which resulted in a HUGE fight between us. She got in my face a couple of different times, but I was able to push her back away from me. The last time she made an aggressive move toward me (with arms flailing and fists clenched) I assumed I was about to be hit, so I struck out first, hitting her on the side of the head and knocking her to the ground. She had me charged with simple domestic assault. I've been in NO trouble with the law, since I stopped drinking in 1989, following a drunk driving conviction. She required NO medical treatment, and the only thing it appeared to bruise, was her ego! I understand I COULD receive up to 93 days in jail, but realistically what should I expect to receive?

mistoffolees

It's going to depend on what the evidence proves. No one here can answer that.

If you can show that you used reasonable force in self-defense, you may walk away. If she shows that it was intentional on your part and that she's the innocent party, you go to jail. Or anything in between (including probation).

Get an attorney and talk with them about the facts of the case.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">