• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

From some time ago

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

PeaceCorpReject

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Alabama

This story is from some time ago, at least 25 years, but I would still like to know if anything can be done. I recently learned from my mother all the things her ex husband has done to her. This has left her emotionally damaged and consequently, damaged my entire family as well. She has suffered from depression and would often have suicide attempts. I never understood why she felt so hopeless until she described some of the things this man has done to her. Here is a bit of what she claims has been done and a bit of the background of the circumstances. This is an excerpt from something I have written trying to find a way to have this man arrested.

My siblings are from my mother's previous marriage to a man she always told me was very bad, he would often threaten my family when I was young. Recently I have learned just how horrible this man was and my perception of my mother has changed. She is embarrassed about what happened to her but I could not be prouder. She married a man she didn't love because her parents encouraged her to. She was 17 at the time. She soon became pregnant and he began to beat her. A year later she became pregnant a second time and he would beat her ,rape her, and once even stabbed her in the stomach to try and kill the unborn baby. As time went on, things worsened. He would drug her and sell her body to men she did not know. She told me of once when he had forced her to take some sort of drug and the last thing she remembered were two men coming into the room. When she awoke she was covered in bruises,cuts, as well as evidence of sexual activity. She took her two young children, a young woman of 21 and two toddlers, and walked through a dangerous neighborhood in the rain to try and speak to her mother from a payphone. She was always too embarrassed to say anything but the voice of her mother always comforted her. This man has been arrested three times for child molestation and sodomy, not only his second wife’s children but others as well. He also attempted to kill his second wife’s son by running him over in a van, the boy was paralyzed. He was only in jail for a short time and is now living free. I would like help, any sort of help, to put this man away. I have tried to tell my mother that she should not be embarrassed but proud to have survived and fought so hard. There are so many more things he has done. This is only the tip of the iceberg and I would like to cause his freedom to sink.
Any ideas? I am young with little money but I would do whatever I possibly can to find justice.

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Alabama

This story is from some time ago, at least 25 years, but I would still like to know if anything can be done. I recently learned from my mother all the things her ex husband has done to her. This has left her emotionally damaged and consequently, damaged my entire family as well. She has suffered from depression and would often have suicide attempts. I never understood why she felt so hopeless until she described some of the things this man has done to her. Here is a bit of what she claims has been done and a bit of the background of the circumstances. This is an excerpt from something I have written trying to find a way to have this man arrested.

My siblings are from my mother's previous marriage to a man she always told me was very bad, he would often threaten my family when I was young. Recently I have learned just how horrible this man was and my perception of my mother has changed. She is embarrassed about what happened to her but I could not be prouder. She married a man she didn't love because her parents encouraged her to. She was 17 at the time. She soon became pregnant and he began to beat her. A year later she became pregnant a second time and he would beat her ,rape her, and once even stabbed her in the stomach to try and kill the unborn baby. As time went on, things worsened. He would drug her and sell her body to men she did not know. She told me of once when he had forced her to take some sort of drug and the last thing she remembered were two men coming into the room. When she awoke she was covered in bruises,cuts, as well as evidence of sexual activity. She took her two young children, a young woman of 21 and two toddlers, and walked through a dangerous neighborhood in the rain to try and speak to her mother from a payphone. She was always too embarrassed to say anything but the voice of her mother always comforted her. This man has been arrested three times for child molestation and sodomy, not only his second wife’s children but others as well. He also attempted to kill his second wife’s son by running him over in a van, the boy was paralyzed. He was only in jail for a short time and is now living free. I would like help, any sort of help, to put this man away. I have tried to tell my mother that she should not be embarrassed but proud to have survived and fought so hard. There are so many more things he has done. This is only the tip of the iceberg and I would like to cause his freedom to sink.
Any ideas? I am young with little money but I would do whatever I possibly can to find justice.

25 years later... really:rolleyes:

Silverplum

While I appreciate your loyalty to your mother, there is nothing you can do for her in this situation.

She would have had to call the cops, file reports, pursue justice for herself. She did not, and he is walking free. There's no PROOF to be found after such a long time.

PeaceCorpReject

Hmm, that's disappointing. I merely expected our law system to take into account that the mentality of beaten women generally keeps them from actually speaking out. My mother still struggles with many things from this time and I often have to talk her out of suicide attempts, I really see no way that she could speak out, it has taken her some time to speak to me. We did discuss some of the possibilities but most weren't available to at the time that these things happened, being from earlier than the late 80s when many laws regarding spousal abuse were passed. I will find a way however, even if I must do it myself. Thankfully my father is a kind man and I have the determination to finish my graduate studies. Thank you.

Silverplum

Hmm, that's disappointing. I merely expected our law system to take into account that the mentality of beaten women generally keeps them from actually speaking out.
Yeah, there's that whole Constitution thing blocking your expectation. One needs PROOF to successfully punish. She did not provide the proof.

PeaceCorpReject said:
My mother still struggles with many things from this time and I often have to talk her out of suicide attempts, I really see no way that she could speak out, it has taken her some time to speak to me. We did discuss some of the possibilities but most weren't available to at the time that these things happened, being from earlier than the late 80s when many laws regarding spousal abuse were passed. I will find a way however, even if I must do it myself. Thankfully my father is a kind man and I have the determination to finish my graduate studies. Thank you.
You're welcome.

But you don't think you're "done." And you ought to be. It's not an issue you can legally pursue.

PeaceCorpReject

I was merely hoping for something a bit closer to home for his imprisonment. He is currently being investigated for other matters so I will mainly focus on his imprisonment and for the longest term available. What's more, I am of the opinion that for true justice you should never be 'done' when fighting for what is right, even if you never see actual results. Truth will always be heard and taken into account even if the majority is corrupt.

Silverplum

I was merely hoping for something a bit closer to home for his imprisonment. He is currently being investigated for other matters so I will mainly focus on his imprisonment and for the longest term available. What's more, I am of the opinion that for true justice you should never be 'done' when fighting for what is right, even if you never see actual results. Truth will always be heard and taken into account even if the majority is corrupt.
It's simply remarkable that the "Peace Corp" seems to have rejected you.

PeaceCorpReject

Yes I did some work for them but was rejected for travel for health problems. Cancer is something they do not let their members travel with. So I stay here and work with organizations here, even if I can't travel much. The work is amazing and it is a joke at some of the places I visit when able about my peace corp rejection. And you, are a bitter, inconsiderate, judgmental person. It is such beings as yourself that make me question the world around me and the people that are in it. But when visiting people with truly good hearts you can see the beauty in the world. I suggest you give it a try. Even local hospitals allow visits from citizens to encourage patients.

Silverplum

Yes I did some work for them but was rejected for travel for health problems. Cancer is something they do not let their members travel with. So I stay here and work with organizations here, even if I can't travel much. The work is amazing and it is a joke at some of the places I visit when able about my peace corp rejection. And you, are a bitter, inconsiderate, judgmental person. It is such beings as yourself that make me question the world around me and the people that are in it. But when visiting people with truly good hearts you can see the beauty in the world. I suggest you give it a try. Even local hospitals allow visits from citizens to encourage patients.
Good gracious.

It is clear that you need a nap and a crash course in the US Constitution, in that order. Then perhaps you could regain your manners.

PeaceCorpReject

I apologize if I was rather harsh. And a nap is definitely in order, fatigue is a by product. It merely bothers me when someone tries to reach out for genuine help, even if it seems somewhat ridiculous to others for each person has their own expertise, and is met with unkind remarks rather than compassion and understanding. Which is what I feel I have received, not the manners you speak of. I did come somewhat skeptical, I was told to come here by nurses, and since language is what I study and not law, I somewhat expected this but it was worth a try. Though sincerely, you should visit a nearby hospital.

Silverplum

I apologize if I was rather harsh. And a nap is definitely in order, fatigue is a by product. It merely bothers me when someone tries to reach out for genuine help, even if it seems somewhat ridiculous to others for each person has their own expertise, and is met with unkind remarks rather than compassion and understanding. Which is what I feel I have received, not the manners you speak of. I did come somewhat skeptical, I was told to come here by nurses, and since language is what I study and not law, I somewhat expected this but it was worth a try. Though sincerely, you should visit a nearby hospital.
I never made a single unkind remark to you.

You, on the other hand, were most rude.

Good day to you.

PeaceCorpReject

And if you, then thank you, be it a hospital, orphanage, or somewhere else. There are few people who take the time to do so, but it is something that is definitely needed.

PeaceCorpReject

I never made a single unkind remark to you.

You, on the other hand, were most rude.

Good day to you.
Perhaps it did not seem so to you but to me you seemed unkind in your remarks so I did react rudely and it was a bit rash, it has been a rather hard day. For that I apologize. Good day to you as well and a pleasant evening.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">