• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Stalker Control Options (for the bystanders)?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

GeekGrrl

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PENNSYLVANIA

Can someone who is indirectly harassed/stalked by a person has an order against them have the stalker arrested? If not, what legal steps can be taken by the person who is not "protected" by the order.

Short Version
My boyfriend has an order against his ex because she's harassed him at home & work, destroyed property, and ringing his neighbors' doorbells at 2am to guilt him into talking to her. She knows I have keys & now she calls and texts him every day (we keep blocking new numbers), she peeks in the windows and if I am there she waits for him to walk the dog then harasses him on the street. He's called the police 2x but feels bad and doesn't press charges because "she needs help not jail." What can I do since he's the intended victim?

More Detail (if needed)

1. All her texts go to a spam filter so there's no notification, but you can see them all (like the way email works) when you want. Her calls go straight to voicemail.

2. This woman has a job which requires re-certification every few years and she claims having this order against her will cause her to lose her job. So her texts go from insulting me and him to telling him she loves him, she hates him, please save her job, we can all be friends, [insert racial slur about me], more begging to drop the order... and so on.

3. When she starts saying things about me, he impulsively will call her back and curse her out-- but of course that just makes her send 10 more texts about how she can't believe he's defending me, how he never defends her, etc. I told him he's just giving her the attention she wants so he's stopped. My worry is that this might hurt his case if he actually does have her arrested.

4. The police said the next time he calls she's going to jail. So he's feeling sorry enough that he hasn't called the last 2 times she's showed up (waiting on his porch at 6:30am and another time at like 2am a block away).

Ladyback1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PENNSYLVANIA

Can someone who is indirectly harassed/stalked by a person has an order against them have the stalker arrested? If not, what legal steps can be taken by the person who is not "protected" by the order.

Short Version
My boyfriend has an order against his ex because she's harassed him at home & work, destroyed property, and ringing his neighbors' doorbells at 2am to guilt him into talking to her. She knows I have keys & now she calls and texts him every day (we keep blocking new numbers), she peeks in the windows and if I am there she waits for him to walk the dog then harasses him on the street. He's called the police 2x but feels bad and doesn't press charges because "she needs help not jail." What can I do since he's the intended victim?

More Detail (if needed)

1. All her texts go to a spam filter so there's no notification, but you can see them all (like the way email works) when you want. Her calls go straight to voicemail.

2. This woman has a job which requires re-certification every few years and she claims having this order against her will cause her to lose her job. So her texts go from insulting me and him to telling him she loves him, she hates him, please save her job, we can all be friends, [insert racial slur about me], more begging to drop the order... and so on.

3. When she starts saying things about me, he impulsively will call her back and curse her out-- but of course that just makes her send 10 more texts about how she can't believe he's defending me, how he never defends her, etc. I told him he's just giving her the attention she wants so he's stopped. My worry is that this might hurt his case if he actually does have her arrested.

4. The police said the next time he calls she's going to jail. So he's feeling sorry enough that he hasn't called the last 2 times she's showed up (waiting on his porch at 6:30am and another time at like 2am a block away).
Legal advice I have is: The restraining order goes both ways---He should NOT be contacting her for any reason.
And if she is harassing you, you can file for a restraining order for yourself (and I would).

The non-legal advice: How sorry will he feel for her when/if she ends up physically harming something or someone he cares about??
Yes, she probably has some psych issues that need treatment--however, you nor the boyfriend can provide that treatment.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Legal advice I have is: The restraining order goes both ways---He should NOT be contacting her for any reason.
And if she is harassing you, you can file for a restraining order for yourself (and I would).

The non-legal advice: How sorry will he feel for her when/if she ends up physically harming something or someone he cares about??
Yes, she probably has some psych issues that need treatment--however, you nor the boyfriend can provide that treatment.
Actually restraining orders do NOT automatically go both ways.

Ladyback1

Actually restraining orders do NOT automatically go both ways.
True....

But, here I go using common sense: Why in the blue hell would you get a restraining order against someone, and then proceed to continue contact?? (I am assuming that there are no kids from the relationship, thus no co-parenting dilemma).

Silverplum

You have no place attempting to enforce a court order that doesn't have your name on it.

If you would like your own court order, try to get one. PA's counties each have their own court websites.

GeekGrrl

You have no place attempting to enforce a court order that doesn't have your name on it.

If you would like your own court order, try to get one. PA's counties each have their own court websites.

Part of my question was whether or not I can legally file an order since he's the primary victim. As far as I know, she doesn't follow me home. She doesn't have my number to call/text me. She doesn't know my name or where I work. I don't know I can get an order that protects me while I'm in his area or not because of this.

This chick has peeked through the windows while we were having sex. She knows when one or both of us is walking his dog. She knows what I'm wearing and is watching his place enough to know when I use my keys to get in because he's not home yet. She's looking for him, not me, but we all watch enough TV to know I could be the one she sets on fire/shoots/etc. out of jealousy.

Is that concern LEGALLY enough for me to get an order?

Ladyback1

Part of my question was whether or not I can legally file an order since he's the primary victim. As far as I know, she doesn't follow me home. She doesn't have my number to call/text me. She doesn't know my name or where I work. I don't know I can get an order that protects me while I'm in his area or not because of this.

This chick has peeked through the windows while we were having sex. She knows when one or both of us is walking his dog. She knows what I'm wearing and is watching his place enough to know when I use my keys to get in because he's not home yet. She's looking for him, not me, but we all watch enough TV to know I could be the one she sets on fire/shoots/etc. out of jealousy.

None of us can say whether a judge will sign off on a restraining order/order of protection.
If you are concerned for your safety, contact your local court system, and fill out the paperwork to request a restraining order.

Silverplum

Did you look up your county's court website for help? Read the laws? You have to help yourself by taking direction.

Other than enforcing his own order, your bf should get curtains. :cool:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I just noticed this. The problem is that your boyfriend doesn't want this dealt with. You need to have a frank discussion with him about the matter and you may need to make some hard decisions about whether you want to continue in this relationship. He's obviously not over her yet.

GeekGrrl

That's what I thought :-( She knows what buttons to press and he's fallen for it 2x that I know of.

Re: non-legal - I definitely agree. I know I'm paranoid, but I really have this fear that she'll burn his place down (and he lives in a duplex with neighbors who have 2 kids).

GeekGrrl

I just noticed this. The problem is that your boyfriend doesn't want this dealt with. You need to have a frank discussion with him about the matter and you may need to make some hard decisions about whether you want to continue in this relationship. He's obviously not over her yet.
You raise a good point. I know he treated her really bad. Like to the point where I'm surprised. (Completely differently than me and the woman before her). So I really think it's guilt. Either way I'm running out of patience and you're absolutely right about the discussion. I just wanted to swing by here for others' logical input. It really helps.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">