• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Stalker threatening to contact employer?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LtSparky

Hi everyone.

I'm currently living in MD, and work in DC.

An individual contacted me on an online dating website that I'm a part of (I know I know I know, don't judge).

Long story short, after immediately picking up some crazy vibes, I stopped responding to messages. Since then, the individual has incessantly contacted me through emails. She has threatened to call both my employers (one civilian, and the other military) as she was somehow able to find information about me online. She also searched and found my license plate number, my addresses, and my employer's address and contact info. She's threatening to contact them all as I am "impersonating" someone else, and they "need to be warned."

Am I within my rights to file a police report if she is threatening my employment by contacting them?

Just Blue

Hi everyone.

An individual contacted me on an online dating website that I'm a part of (I know I know I know, don't judge).

Long story short, after immediately picking up some crazy vibes, I stopped responding to messages. Since then, the individual has incessantly contacted me through emails. She has threatened to call both my employers (one civilian, and the other military) as she was somehow able to find information about me online. She also searched and found my license plate number, my addresses, and my employer's address and contact info. She's threatening to contact them all as I am "impersonating" someone else, and they "need to be warned."

Am I within my rights to file a police report if she is threatening my employment by contacting them?
Yes. This is within your rights.

commentator

Was there something on line that would result in your employers being concerned if it was brought to their attention? Most employers aren't overly impressed by some anonymous person calling them and telling them something about one of their employees if they are pleased with the employee and there's nothing there. It happens quite often, but rarely results in anything serious unless there's been something that you've been keeping from the employer, like your having lied about having charges on your record or something.

single317dad

Hi everyone.

Did you lie about who you are on the dating site? Did you misrepresent yourself as wealthy, good-looking, or otherwise desirable when you really aren't? Some jurisdictions are either debating or in the process of enacting criminal fraud and sexual assault laws against that type of behavior. You should cease and desist that behavior immediately for your own good, if you are indeed doing any of those things.

What you've run into here is an SJW, a "Social Justice Warrior" -- someone who must see right (in their own opinion) done, damn the fallout. These folks run the gamut of opinions on different matters, but they all have a common tie in their determination to destroy those who "wrong" them by any means necessary. These people are usually motivated by their own low self esteem due to either real or perceived unattractiveness.

If she's lying and goes forth with her plan, you may have a defamation case against her, but criminal charges are unlikely. Good luck.

LtSparky

Did you lie about who you are on the dating site? Did you misrepresent yourself as wealthy, good-looking, or otherwise desirable when you really aren't? Some jurisdictions are either debating or in the process of enacting criminal fraud and sexual assault laws against that type of behavior. You should cease and desist that behavior immediately for your own good, if you are indeed doing any of those things.

What you've run into here is an SJW, a "Social Justice Warrior" -- someone who must see right (in their own opinion) done, damn the fallout. These folks run the gamut of opinions on different matters, but they all have a common tie in their determination to destroy those who "wrong" them by any means necessary. These people are usually motivated by their own low self esteem due to either real or perceived unattractiveness.

If she's lying and goes forth with her plan, you may have a defamation case against her, but criminal charges are unlikely. Good luck.

Thank you! I never represented anyone other than myself, as it's a public dating profile and what would I have to gain? And I can easily verify my identity if it came to that. But thanks again for the info.

LtSparky

Was there something on line that would result in your employers being concerned if it was brought to their attention? Most employers aren't overly impressed by some anonymous person calling them and telling them something about one of their employees if they are pleased with the employee and there's nothing there. It happens quite often, but rarely results in anything serious unless there's been something that you've been keeping from the employer, like your having lied about having charges on your record or something.

Nope, nothing. Luckily my early military ambitions have kept my record clean and me out of trouble!

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Regular police report. AND report her to the dating site, since it sounds like she's violating the TOS.

Just BLOCK HER already. No explanation needed.

If she's a nut case, you're probably not the first one she's been nutty with.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">