• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Stalking

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

skn56k

I wasn't sure where to post this, but I need help.

I have been avoiding an abusive father for a decade. I've made it very clear that I want no contact with him or the rest of my biological family. I've moved several times over the past 5 years, just because he always manages to track me down. This time, I moved over 500 miles away. He showed up at my door last night. I just spoke with my previous landlord who let me know that he and a Sheriff had shown up at my old address looking for me. I am almost 30 years old. If I do not want to be in contact with someone, I believe that is my choice. Every time I try to contact the police when he shows up, they essentially laugh it off and say "Oh, it's fine... he's your Dad!" No, it's not fine. If this Sheriff helped that piece of work track me down again, am I entitled to sue the piss out of that Sheriff? I could understand him assisting him track me, if I were a minor that had ran away from home, but as I said, I am almost 30 years old. I now feel unsafe in my new home. I'm going to be paranoid and looking over my shoulder every day now that he knows where I am. It's going to ruin my day-to-day life and I already feel like I need to relocate, again. I just want this to be over with. Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

LdiJ

I wasn't sure where to post this, but I need help.

I have been avoiding an abusive father for a decade. I've made it very clear that I want no contact with him or the rest of my biological family. I've moved several times over the past 5 years, just because he always manages to track me down. This time, I moved over 500 miles away. He showed up at my door last night. I just spoke with my previous landlord who let me know that he and a Sheriff had shown up at my old address looking for me. I am almost 30 years old. If I do not want to be in contact with someone, I believe that is my choice. Every time I try to contact the police when he shows up, they essentially laugh it off and say "Oh, it's fine... he's your Dad!" No, it's not fine. If this Sheriff helped that piece of work track me down again, am I entitled to sue the piss out of that Sheriff? I could understand him assisting him track me, if I were a minor that had ran away from home, but as I said, I am almost 30 years old. I now feel unsafe in my new home. I'm going to be paranoid and looking over my shoulder every day now that he knows where I am. It's going to ruin my day-to-day life and I already feel like I need to relocate, again. I just want this to be over with. Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.
You could talk to the courts about a possible restraining order, if anything that he has done rises to that level.

If you decide to relocate again, one way that you could help avoid it happening is to have all of your mail directed to PO box somewhere a bit away from where you live...not so far as to make it totally inconvenient to get your mail, but far enough that you are not living in the immediate area. You also need to be careful with social media.

Eekamouse

Do you know why he is trying to find you? Did anything happen that he wants you to be held accountable for even if he's full of crap and you didn't do anything? He could be telling the sheriff that you stole something, for example, or what have you. You should file for a restraining order to prevent him from coming near you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">