• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Stalking and Slander from my ex - What can I do?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

EllieAnny

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I'm in a very difficult situation and am seeking professional advice, because I'm at a loss at what to do. To preface, I dated a guy for two years - my first serious relationship. He was nice to me until I moved across the country to live with him. That's when he abuse started. You name the abuse, he did it (mostly), verbally, sexually, physically, emotionally. I was terrified of him and put up with it for another year. I had my own set of problems with being too clingy, I'm sure that was annoying, but I NEVER in NO WAY was abusive whatsoever. He, however, was extremely controlling, treated me like property, made me call him master, and mistreated me horribly. After a while I had enough and broke up with him and moved away. He tried to stay in touch and I told him that we shouldn't talk for a few months. After that we could see if there was a way for us to be on good terms, especially since our careers were very similar and it was inevitable that we would be on some of the same business trips.

Fast forward about 5 months after zero contact (apart from a few seemingly texts on his part that I never answered) and we decided to have a discussion about things to try to resolve any bitterness in order to get on good terms. Over the course of the next couple of months, we did have to see each other, and it was a confusing situation. Old emotions would come back, we'd talk about the possibility of getting back together, but ultimately we never did. I started seeing other people and he was FURIOUS. Called me terrible names and told me I was cheating on him, despite the fact that I was exceptionally clear that we were not together and that I wanted to see other people so I could find someone I was compatible with and who would treat me with love and respect.

Recently I met a guy I really clicked with who was so kind and gentle. We started dating and my ex went ballistic. My phone was blowing up, he called and told me he should kill the guy I was seeing, and then he kept texting me saying things like, "You do what I tell you to do because I'm your man." I responded with things like, "No you're not. Are you kidding me? I'm not your property - we're broken up and I am entitled to date whoever I want." I ended up staying in a hotel with the guy I was dating and talking to when the next morning I was woken up from the hotel phone. I answered and it was my ex. In his words, he called over 10 hotels just to track me down to get in touch with me. He was an emotional mess and kept saying I should see him. I told him I couldn't talk and I hung up the phone. About a half hour later I get another call on the hotel phone from the front desk saying, "Your fiance is in the lobby to see you." First of all, my ex and I were NEVER engaged, so it was absurd that he even said that. I was terrified and shaking at this point. I've fallen victim to his abuse many, many times in the past, and after him telling me on the phone that he should kill the guy I'm currently dating, I was worried about his safety too. The guy I'm dating went down to the lobby to talk to him and ask him to leave. While they were talking I called the front desk and told them to call the police and make my ex leave. They ended up not doing it, however. The guy I'm currently dating came back up to the room about 20 minutes later and told me that my ex said terrible things about me. Most of them were lies, saying I was bi-polar, crazy, cheated on him, etc. None of those are true, but he tried his best to run off the guy I am dating.

I texted my ex and told him to leave me alone and to stop trying to damage my reputation. I didn't want any trouble, but I was going to get a restraining order. My ex freaked out, said it would go on his record and ruin his chance at future jobs, and pleaded that I'd reconsider. I had a discussion with my ex's boss about the situation and was assured that my ex would leave me alone. I don't want to hurt his personal or professional life. The ONLY thing I want is for him to leave me alone, stop contacting me, and to stop slandering me and trying to ruin my reputation. After letting it go I thought everything would be ok, but last night my ex took to twitter tagging my business account and my new boyfriend's account saying that we were off and on until last week and that he wanted to spend his life with me. That's a huge fabrication, but my concern with the issue is that it will have a negative impact on my career, as his tweet is public to my business partners and colleagues.

What should I do? I honestly have no idea. My ex is terrifying. He's said and done terrible things to me - I have text messages of him admitting the abuse as well as some extremely controlling things he has said to me recently. I'm not out to hurt his reputation or anything - I just want him to leave me alone. I have no idea what he is capable of and my concern is for my safety, my relationships, and my career. He's impending on all of these things and I have no idea how to handle this situation. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!

LdiJ

I'm in a very difficult situation and am seeking professional advice, because I'm at a loss at what to do. To preface, I dated a guy for two years - my first serious relationship. He was nice to me until I moved across the country to live with him. That's when he abuse started. You name the abuse, he did it (mostly), verbally, sexually, physically, emotionally. I was terrified of him and put up with it for another year. I had my own set of problems with being too clingy, I'm sure that was annoying, but I NEVER in NO WAY was abusive whatsoever. He, however, was extremely controlling, treated me like property, made me call him master, and mistreated me horribly. After a while I had enough and broke up with him and moved away. He tried to stay in touch and I told him that we shouldn't talk for a few months. After that we could see if there was a way for us to be on good terms, especially since our careers were very similar and it was inevitable that we would be on some of the same business trips.

Fast forward about 5 months after zero contact (apart from a few seemingly texts on his part that I never answered) and we decided to have a discussion about things to try to resolve any bitterness in order to get on good terms. Over the course of the next couple of months, we did have to see each other, and it was a confusing situation. Old emotions would come back, we'd talk about the possibility of getting back together, but ultimately we never did. I started seeing other people and he was FURIOUS. Called me terrible names and told me I was cheating on him, despite the fact that I was exceptionally clear that we were not together and that I wanted to see other people so I could find someone I was compatible with and who would treat me with love and respect.

Recently I met a guy I really clicked with who was so kind and gentle. We started dating and my ex went ballistic. My phone was blowing up, he called and told me he should kill the guy I was seeing, and then he kept texting me saying things like, "You do what I tell you to do because I'm your man." I responded with things like, "No you're not. Are you kidding me? I'm not your property - we're broken up and I am entitled to date whoever I want." I ended up staying in a hotel with the guy I was dating and talking to when the next morning I was woken up from the hotel phone. I answered and it was my ex. In his words, he called over 10 hotels just to track me down to get in touch with me. He was an emotional mess and kept saying I should see him. I told him I couldn't talk and I hung up the phone. About a half hour later I get another call on the hotel phone from the front desk saying, "Your fiance is in the lobby to see you." First of all, my ex and I were NEVER engaged, so it was absurd that he even said that. I was terrified and shaking at this point. I've fallen victim to his abuse many, many times in the past, and after him telling me on the phone that he should kill the guy I'm currently dating, I was worried about his safety too. The guy I'm dating went down to the lobby to talk to him and ask him to leave. While they were talking I called the front desk and told them to call the police and make my ex leave. They ended up not doing it, however. The guy I'm currently dating came back up to the room about 20 minutes later and told me that my ex said terrible things about me. Most of them were lies, saying I was bi-polar, crazy, cheated on him, etc. None of those are true, but he tried his best to run off the guy I am dating.

I texted my ex and told him to leave me alone and to stop trying to damage my reputation. I didn't want any trouble, but I was going to get a restraining order. My ex freaked out, said it would go on his record and ruin his chance at future jobs, and pleaded that I'd reconsider. I had a discussion with my ex's boss about the situation and was assured that my ex would leave me alone. I don't want to hurt his personal or professional life. The ONLY thing I want is for him to leave me alone, stop contacting me, and to stop slandering me and trying to ruin my reputation. After letting it go I thought everything would be ok, but last night my ex took to twitter tagging my business account and my new boyfriend's account saying that we were off and on until last week and that he wanted to spend his life with me. That's a huge fabrication, but my concern with the issue is that it will have a negative impact on my career, as his tweet is public to my business partners and colleagues.

What should I do? I honestly have no idea. My ex is terrifying. He's said and done terrible things to me - I have text messages of him admitting the abuse as well as some extremely controlling things he has said to me recently. I'm not out to hurt his reputation or anything - I just want him to leave me alone. I have no idea what he is capable of and my concern is for my safety, my relationships, and my career. He's impending on all of these things and I have no idea how to handle this situation. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!
Its time to get a restraining order. You are letting him continue to abuse you and stalk you and it needs to stop. You cannot worry about his career. He is doing this to himself.

EllieAnny

Its time to get a restraining order. You are letting him continue to abuse you and stalk you and it needs to stop. You cannot worry about his career. He is doing this to himself.
Thank you for the input. I've been trying to be the nice girl in this situation, but I'm starting to feel like this is really my only option now. Again, thanks so much.

quincy

I suggest you consider a restraining order, but only after you have had the chance to discuss with an attorney in your area all of the pros and cons. With a restraining order, you can call the police if/when your ex violates the order in any way, and the police can arrest him, which can be a positive. But there are a lot of negatives to having a court issue an order against your ex.

It is important to note that some people become more violent and dangerous when a restraining order is issued. Unwanted contact may increase rather than decrease. A restraining order cannot really prevent contact, it can only prohibit it. It only allows for legal recourse after-the-fact.

I do not think that trying to sue your ex for slander is something you want to consider at this point, although this is something else you can discuss with your attorney. What a lawsuit will do is force you into having more contact with your ex, even if the contact is in a court setting. Court actions can last for months or years. I think it is better for you to AVOID putting yourself in situations where any contact with your ex is necessary.

I think you would be smart to see an attorney in your area to discuss your situation.

Last edited:

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
How does he know who you're dating, what your plans for any given evening/weekends might be, etc.? Why have you not changed your phone #? Why even reply to him?

Just Blue

Change you phone #.
Do not contact the ex in anyway.
Do NOT post personal info on the net.
Move amd don't give the new address to anyone you ex knows.

CdwJava

The actions you describe can also be considered stalking in CA - a felony. So, you also have the option of reporting his behavior to the police and they can conduct a criminal investigation.

And, yes, you can CONSIDER a restraining order, but understand that if you do not call the police, and do not get a restraining order, guess what? He can and probably will continue to be obsessed with you, stalk you, and terrify you. And, this controlling behavior is more likely to lead to violent confrontations - even homicide - because there will be no way to intercede in the prelude behaviors.

In CA we have only one SHALL ARREST code section, and that is with regards to domestic violence restraining orders. If there exists probable cause, the police SHALL arrest the suspect even if the act did not occur in front of them and even if the victim does not wish to pursue charges (sign a private person's arrest).

Without an order he can continue to call, follow, harass, annoy, and even scare you ... and if you are relying on his goodness, recall where that got you. I strongly urge you to seek that TRO and report his actions to the police if they are truly as great a concern as you write here.

Also, change the locks on your doors - perhaps add secondary deadbolts with second keys, do not reply to his calls or texts and save them as "evidence," get a dog or an alarm system, walk in safe and well-lit places, and consider purchasing a stun gun or other device for your personal safety.

quincy

The actions you describe can also be considered stalking in CA - a felony. So, you also have the option of reporting his behavior to the police and they can conduct a criminal investigation.

And, yes, you can CONSIDER a restraining order, but understand that if you do not call the police, and do not get a restraining order, guess what? He can and probably will continue to be obsessed with you, stalk you, and terrify you. And, this controlling behavior is more likely to lead to violent confrontations - even homicide - because there will be no way to intercede in the prelude behaviors.

In CA we have only one SHALL ARREST code section, and that is with regards to domestic violence restraining orders. If there exists probable cause, the police SHALL arrest the suspect even if the act did not occur in front of them and even if the victim does not wish to pursue charges (sign a private person's arrest).

Without an order he can continue to call, follow, harass, annoy, and even scare you ... and if you are relying on his goodness, recall where that got you. I strongly urge you to seek that TRO and report his actions to the police if they are truly as great a concern as you write here.

Also, change the locks on your doors - perhaps add secondary deadbolts with second keys, do not reply to his calls or texts and save them as "evidence," get a dog or an alarm system, walk in safe and well-lit places, and consider purchasing a stun gun or other device for your personal safety.
I used the word "consider" for a good reason. A restraining order does not prevent contact and, in fact, a large percentage of those against whom a restraining order is issued will violate the order.

For a good look at restraining orders and their effectiveness, here is a link to research done by the National Institute of Justice - "Practical Implications of Current Domestic Violence Research: For Law Enforcement, Prosecutors and Judges." I am linking to Chapter 7 of the research study, Judicial Responses, for the information provided in Sections 7-8 through 7-11 (although the entire study is interesting and informative).

http://www.nij.gov/topics/crime/intimate-partner-violence/practical-implications-research/ch7/Pages/welcome.aspx

No one should believe that a restraining order can protect them, because it can't. A person needs first to look carefully at their situation before going to court for an order. Prior to seeking a restraining order, a person should start to, or continue to, protect themselves - and the ways suggested by Blue Meanie and you on how to protect oneself are good ones.

CdwJava

I used the word "consider" for a good reason. A restraining order does not prevent contact and, in fact, a large percentage of those against whom a restraining order is issued will violate the order.
Almost all will continue to do so without the order, and there would be NO consequences nor incentive to stop.

No one should believe that a restraining order can protect them, because it can't. A person needs first to look carefully at their situation before going to court for an order. Prior to seeking a restraining order, a person should start to, or continue to, protect themselves - and the ways suggested by Blue Meanie and you on how to protect oneself are good ones.
And when the suspect finally kills or causes grievous injury to the victim, it is the police, the prosecutors, and the courts that get the bad rap for not doing enough to protect a victim that refused to take the necessary legal steps to protect themselves. We (the police and the justice system) cannot act to protect you unless you first take steps to protect yourself ... such as reporting crimes to the police or obtaining restraining orders.

Certainly no order is going to stop a determined stalker or violent threat. But, MOST people who are subject to these orders are not those people. And, if the offender is inclined to violence, he is likely to inflict that violence even without an order being issued. Such people will find some other reason to be violent or kill ... dating a new man, not returning a call, un-friending them on Facebook - the list of offenses that will set them off are huge.

And this from the NIJ study you linked above:

http://www.nij.gov/topics/crime/intimate-partner-violence/practical-implications-research/ch7/Pages/violate-protective-orders.aspx

http://www.nij.gov/topics/crime/intimate-partner-violence/practical-implications-research/ch7/Pages/protective-order-effectiveness.aspx

http://www.nij.gov/topics/crime/intimate-partner-violence/practical-implications-research/ch7/Pages/dv-court-effectiveness.aspx

I have other scholarly (peer-reviewed journal) articles that are available by subscription as well that show the positive implications and general effectiveness of court orders in deterring or preventing domestic violence. There is no way to say whether an order WILL be effective in deterring acts of stalking or harassment, but, it is safe to say that NO order means that the acts WILL continue.

Last edited:

Ladyback1

I had a discussion with my ex's boss about the situation and was assured that my ex would leave me alone. I don't want to hurt his personal or professional life. !
I have to ask: What did talking to his boss accomplish?

You will talk to his boss, but you are hesitant to talk to the police?

Sweetie...this Ex of yours appears to have some issues. He needs to be told in no uncertain terms that he has to leave you alone. He has not listened to you. Apparently, he didn't listen to his boss. It's time to have the judicial system tell him to knock the crap off!

I'm not sure why you would need or want to seek out an attorney to discuss this. I just don't see that paying an attorney will help.

I suggest you do all the things mentioned to increase your safety. I also suggest that you change all of your passwords on any email accounts, social networking accounts (and make as many of the social networking accounts PRIVATE as you can), and DO NOT respond when he contacts you. Your only response should be to call law enforcement when he's harassing you.

EllieAnny

Thanks so much everyone. Really. He knew about where I was and who I was with due to social media. I know ideally it's best not to share those kind of things, but without giving my identity away, it was work related and that's how he knew. It's a difficult situation because it's part of my job to be a spokesperson/ public figure.

Regardless, I really appreciate the feedback. I feel so lost, but you are right and I'll do what I have to do. Thanks again! You have no idea how much it means to me.

quincy

Thanks so much everyone. Really. He knew about where I was and who I was with due to social media. I know ideally it's best not to share those kind of things, but without giving my identity away, it was work related and that's how he knew. It's a difficult situation because it's part of my job to be a spokesperson/ public figure.

Regardless, I really appreciate the feedback. I feel so lost, but you are right and I'll do what I have to do. Thanks again! You have no idea how much it means to me.
There are many different factors that come into play in determining how effective a restraining order will be (including the demeanor of the judge you will face). I hope you read through all of the research in the link I provided (it is a relatively fast read to go through all of the chapters) so that, if you do decide to get a restraining order, it will be structured in a way that will protect you best.

And please take safety precautions seriously (and your current boyfriend should too).

I wish you good luck, EllieAnny.

Shadowbunny

Queen of the Not-Rights

1) Block his number
2) Don't respond to tweets or emails
3) If he continues to contact you after telling him not to, then file a restraining order.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">