• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

State attorney refused to look at evidence in domestic violence case. What to do?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Physx78

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

Ok, me and an ex-girlfriend that had been living with me had a falling out a couple months ago. In short, she assaulted me one night (spat on me, screamed at me, and even bit me) and I had enough. I called the police after she left (to go to her employer's apartment) for the evening. Of course when the police threatened to arrest her, she decided to make up a bunch of lies and try to turn the table on me. Despite me having physical evidence of my injuries and her having nothing more than hearsay, the police weren't sure what to do and ended up sending all the information to the state.

I contacted the state and informed someone at that office (who said she would place this information in the file) that I had a ton of evidence supporting my case and against hers. I had 2 police officers who one evening heard her admit lying about the situation on speaker phone and I additionally had an audio recording where she was caught in multiple lies as well (and she acknowledged she was being recorded, making it admissible in court). I had other additional evidence as well, but the attorney dropped her side of the case without ever contacting me! Upon speaking with someone at that state level (the person I originally talked to wasn't available at the time), they claimed the attorney only dropped her side after "due diligence" and looking at "all evidence." When I called her out on the fact that he completely overlooked the evidence I indicated I had, she then resorted to telling me there was nothing else she could say on the matter. The most aggravating thing is that they STILL haven't dropped my side of the case!

It is clear to me this is a case of gender bias. The attorney tossed her side of the case without even looking at my evidence due to this bias. He has also not dropped my side due to this bias. While I have well more than enough evidence to defend myself and get anything they would think of charging me with dismissed, this girl has done this in the past to other men and got away with it and I have no doubt she will do it again. It is also frustrating that she did what she did to me and she is going to get away scott-free.

I am really not sure what I can do at this point. I want to go over this attorney's head, but I don't even know who I'd contact to do so. If a case is filed against me, I'd like to file a counter-suit for gender bias (based on the fact he refused to look at my evidence before dismissing her case), but I don't know how difficult something like that would be to prove? If anyone can give me suggestions, I'd really appreciate it, as I was first victimized by her, then I feel I was victimized by the local police, then victimized by the state attorney, and am looking to make sure justice is done here and my name is cleared.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Your attorney will help you get your name cleared. You don't have a say in whether or not she is charged or prosecuted criminally. You can sue her civilly for any out of pocket expenses related to any injuries she may have caused.

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

... I am really not sure what I can do at this point. I want to go over this attorney's head, but I don't even know who I'd contact to do so. If a case is filed against me, I'd like to file a counter-suit for gender bias (based on the fact he refused to look at my evidence before dismissing her case), but I don't know how difficult something like that would be to prove? If anyone can give me suggestions, I'd really appreciate it, as I was first victimized by her, then I feel I was victimized by the local police, then victimized by the state attorney, and am looking to make sure justice is done here and my name is cleared.
If no case has been filed against you, I am not sure what you expect to do at this point. If charged with domestic violence, that will be the time to seek out an attorney in your area who can use the evidence you have to defend against the charges and that will be the time to file a countersuit.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">