• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

statue of limitations in NJ

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

helplessinnj

is there a statue of limitations in NJ for a restraining order to be put in affect for myself against an ex who was convicted in 2007 with a sexual offense against my daughter? I, myself have been a part of a Victim Witness Program as well as my daughter. I know he has a no contact order against him with her but he had threaten mine and my daughter's life at the time of conviction. As he will be released on August 23rd, 2012. I fear for my life, as I'm sure he maybe angry and may come after me to fullfill his threats. Can I have a restraining order put against him upon his release??

st-kitts

is there a statue of limitations in NJ for a restraining order to be put in affect for myself against an ex who was convicted in 2007 with a sexual offense against my daughter? I, myself have been a part of a Victim Witness Program as well as my daughter. I know he has a no contact order against him with her but he had threaten mine and my daughter's life at the time of conviction. As he will be released on August 23rd, 2012. I fear for my life, as I'm sure he maybe angry and may come after me to fullfill his threats. Can I have a restraining order put against him upon his release??

You don't mention if he is being released having completed the full sentence or whether he will be on on parole. If he is on probation or parole, have you asked the victim advocate if you can be added to the criminal no contact order? If including you in the criminal contact order isn't possible, and you decide to petition for the restraining order, I suggest petitioning for the order prior to his release so that you don't face a safety risk entering or exiting the courthouse to request the order. In terms of whether it would be granted I couldn't speculate, but if you decide it is a tool you need and would benefit your safety, I would try.

I also suggest your read Gavin DeBecker's book The Gift Of Fear as you consider whether the request for a restraining order will enhance your safety.

Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">