• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Subpoena to testify against violent ex-boyfriend

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

InCofNonsense

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

Here is my situation. I recently received a phone call to my work phone from my ex-boyfriend's latest ex-girlfriend concerning a custody dispute she is currently involved in with our mutual ex-boyfriend concerning the child they have together. She was trying to get me to tell her my home phone and address to send me a subpoena for such testimony. I refused to give her any of my personal information, so she said she would send the subpoena to my workplace. I know absolutely nothing about this woman, including her name which she did not supply during the entire phone conversation, but she seems to know my full name and how to contact me at work. I also know nothing about her situation. I broke up with the ex-boyfriend in 2004 and had to persue and was awarded a PFA against that "man" in 2005 due to his calling and threatening my family to obtain contact info for me and our bad history together that included years of physical and emotional abuse. I have not initiated any contact with him since then, have not desired any contact from him and would love for him to forget I even existed. The last thing I want to do is get dragged into his current drama. If I do receive the subpoena, is there any way I can get out of testifying in court?

Gracie3787

Here is my situation. I recently received a phone call to my work phone from my ex-boyfriend's latest ex-girlfriend concerning a custody dispute she is currently involved in with our mutual ex-boyfriend concerning the child they have together. She was trying to get me to tell her my home phone and address to send me a subpoena for such testimony. I refused to give her any of my personal information, so she said she would send the subpoena to my workplace. I know absolutely nothing about this woman, including her name which she did not supply during the entire phone conversation, but she seems to know my full name and how to contact me at work. I also know nothing about her situation. I broke up with the ex-boyfriend in 2004 and had to persue and was awarded a PFA against that "man" in 2005 due to his calling and threatening my family to obtain contact info for me and our bad history together that included years of physical and emotional abuse. I have not initiated any contact with him since then, have not desired any contact from him and would love for him to forget I even existed. The last thing I want to do is get dragged into his current drama. If I do receive the subpoena, is there any way I can get out of testifying in court?
If you are served, you should get a consult with a local attorney to see what your options are.

What are your reasons for not wanting to testify?

st-kitts

Here is my situation. I recently received a phone call to my work phone from my ex-boyfriend's latest ex-girlfriend concerning a custody dispute she is currently involved in with our mutual ex-boyfriend concerning the child they have together. She was trying to get me to tell her my home phone and address to send me a subpoena for such testimony. I refused to give her any of my personal information, so she said she would send the subpoena to my workplace. I know absolutely nothing about this woman, including her name which she did not supply during the entire phone conversation, but she seems to know my full name and how to contact me at work. I?
Smart. You were wise not to reveal your personal information to a stranger.
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA also know nothing about her situation. I broke up with the ex-boyfriend in 2004 and had to persue and was awarded a PFA against that "man" in 2005 due to his calling and threatening my family to obtain contact info for me and our bad history together that included years of physical and emotional abuse. I have not initiated any contact with him since then, have not desired any contact from him and would love for him to forget I even existed. ?
I would be scared too. I empathize that you do not want to become the victim of his anger again. On the other hand, this other woman may need your support to help with her safety. While avoiding the situation may seem the right move at first glance, it might ensure that this man truly never faces judgment. He will continue his pattern until he is stopped.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PAThe last thing I want to do is get dragged into his current drama. If I do receive the subpoena, is there any way I can get out of testifying in court?
Look for a domestic violence advocate to give you guidance through a local domestic violence outreach center. Go to AARDVARC.org - An Abuse, Rape and Domestic Violence Aid and Resource Collection. They have resources by state and you can find the closest location using this website. An advocate can probably give you fairly substantial legal guidance and inform you on what might happen if you do receive a subpoena without the cost of obtaining an attorney.

Good luck.

InCofNonsense

It arrived.

So, I came into work yesterday morning and the subpoena was in an envelope laying on my desk. I thought those things had to be hand delivered and signed for. Apparently this one was sent to my employer's PO Box. So I immediately started freaking out. I have an appointment to talk to an advisor July 6. I really hope a written statement will be sufficient. I don't have much time, the court date is July 16. :(

LdiJ

So, I came into work yesterday morning and the subpoena was in an envelope laying on my desk. I thought those things had to be hand delivered and signed for. Apparently this one was sent to my employer's PO Box. So I immediately started freaking out. I have an appointment to talk to an advisor July 6. I really hope a written statement will be sufficient. I don't have much time, the court date is July 16. :(
You may end up having to testify. Be prepared to handle that, just in case. However, if there is a way out of it, a local attorney will be able to help you.

If nothing else, a local attorney may be able to keep your personal information out of the hands of the abuser in question.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">