• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tape-Recording of Child-Abuse Torturous Acts – What is the Legality of doing so?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Leamutu

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

Tape-Recording of Child-Abuse Torturous Acts – What is the Legality of doing so?

What Protections, from legal ramifications, does New York State have in place for those who record and submit audio tape-recording of abusive acts upon children by adults while the individual doing the tape-recording can easily and “naturally hear” the abuses taking place, but the abuser and the abused have no knowledge of the fact that they are being heard or tape-recorded? Do New York State Privacy Laws, or any other New York State Laws for that matter, cause such tape-recording to be illegal or otherwise create potential legal or civil ramifications for the individual who tape-records and submits such a recording to a specific New York State legal authority?

In New York State, what is the Legal Precedence of someone tape-recording any one of a number of re-occurring “in-person” verbal abuse episodes when the person doing the tape-recording can easily without any effort overhear those episodes and is not a party to these verbal abuse episodes, and those involved in either conducting or suffering through the episode may have no knowledge that the outsider can overhear them?
The average normal person would likely consider these abuse sessions to be “tortures acts”, and from the words being spoken would automatically assume that physical-restraint is taking place, and additionally would raise the question as to whether sexual-misconduct is simultaneously occurring.
I also believe that the average normal person upon hearing the very loud, harsh and inflictive language being used in these abuse sessions would find them to be anywhere from disturbing to quite upsetting.
Thus, as far as New York State’s Privacy Laws are concerned, when can someone who occupies an adjacent room whether it be above, below or along side of the room, rooms, bedroom or bedrooms that the abuse is taking place in record these abuse sessions, present them to some specific legal authority, and not be in any way shape or form liable to suffer any type of criminal charges nor civil law suit action for their efforts?
In the above case the abuser is an adult male and those being abused are a boy of 12 or 13 and a girl of 9 or 10.
I also realize that Child Protective Services (CPS) can be contacted without having such a tape, but I am of the mindset that proof is required to prove anything, and those involved can and will lie to protect each other as in this case they are all family members. Additionally CPS requires “credible evidence” before they will consider a case to “Founded”, and since their criteria for making this determination could be served in an absolute way with definitive proof then and only then can the required circumstance be changed in favor of the victims.
Note: utilizing the telephone and electronic recording laws as a gauge will likely have little or no applicability to this specific type of “in-person” recording to due the nature of the abuses being naturally overheard. I have not been able to find any New York State, or Federal, statutes or case-law that relates to legally (or illegally) tape-recording Child Abuse Acts when the one doing the tape-recording is not a party to those involved and whose presence is also not know by those involved, even though they can naturally overhear the abuses?
If anyone has any knowledge of New York State (or Federal) Case-Law or Statures that relates to legally, or illegally, recording verbally abusive acts being inflicted upon young children please let me know what those court cases are so that I might proceed assuredly. Without me being able to access and read the New York State Law (or Federal Law) or Laws for myself I would not feel comfortable [or protected] moving forward with this information.

Is there not some government body, either in New York State, or Federal, that is responsible for writing the New York State, or Federal, statutes that relate to the REPORTING OF Child Abuse? If so then who are these government bodies? Also, do you know their email contacts and website-URL?

If you or your organization do not know then please let me know your best guess as to what person or organization would likely know what I am asking.

Thanks, LeaWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Isis1

there is a child being abused. you are witnessing this abuse. and you don't feel COMFORTABLE reporting it?

exactly how stupid are you?:mad::mad:

Proserpina

And what exactly does this mean?

The average normal person would likely consider these abuse sessions to be “tortures acts”, and from the words being spoken would automatically assume that physical-restraint is taking place, and additionally would raise the question as to whether sexual-misconduct is simultaneously occurring.

OMG, seriously?

OP you wouldn't spend time convoluting yourself on the legality of the taping if you had just picked up the phone and called 911!

This presumably happened at least a few days ago. You used the word "torture", but what you are losing sleep over is whether or not your tape (which btw is always a reasonable persons first thought - I hear someone being brutally victimized - let me TAPE it!) and not the fact that children are suffering?

Frankly your post says as much about you as it does the abusers.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">